Shield Pro vs. Firestick 4k

Hi guys,

Just looking for options here or possible fix. I am using channels DVR on a shield pro connected to a LG OLED CX, the picture is ok but not sharp, I see pixelation around wording on screen however, if I use my firestick 4k picture looks sharp and no artifacting. Both channels settings are exactly the same, both shield and firestick are connected into Onkyo 686 av amp. Can anyone help out, the shield surely can produce a better picture...

Note, dvr software running on qnap with 16gb ram and i5 6 core processor...

Thanks John

Double check that the Shield is set for Hardware decoding.

It is Mike, I'm just not sure what's going on... :pensive:

I have a similar setup, just with older gear, in one of my rooms. I have the LG OLED E6 connected to an Onkyo TX-NR656 which is being fed by a Shield Pro 2019 (previously it was connected to the Shield Pro 2015). I also have an Apple TV 4K 2021 connected in this particular setup that also has the Channels DVR app installed. I can't say that I've ever noticed anything wrong with the decode quality within Channels in my setup, with either of the two Shields or the Apple TV. Maybe you can take a picture and better display what it is you are seeing?

I have lg CX and 2019 shield pro and Yamaha avr via arc. I don’t have this issue. You could try to rule out an hdmi issue by using the same cable and input on the avr that the fire stick is using to see if that solves the problem. If not it might be settings on the shield. What are your display settings on shield, ai enabled, 2019 shield or the older one? If you post your settings I can compare with mine

I put my money on it that if you calibrate your TV you'd see an enormous difference. A lot of times when you see artifacts on these higher end TVs it's because they aren't properly calibrated in the factory. I calibrate all my tvs and watch channels via cheap iptv services and get better quality than I ever did on sat, cable or the like.

Hi,

I've spent some time calibrating TV and it does look A LOT better... I might get it professionally calibrated once and for all... Thanks... :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Often there are some reasonable-ish settings on Youtube, if you search for the TV model and 'calibrate'.

The downside with professional calibration, if it's anything like Samsung, occasionally these settings are going to get lost - during firmware upgrades, random issues that require a factory reset to troubleshoot.

I bought one of the Datacolor Spyder devices years ago to calibrate ours, didn't need to use it for a few years... then they EOL-ed it with no updated software.

So, in the end, I've settled on trying Youtube options... not sure I can tell the difference to be honest, looks ok to me :slight_smile: