Shield tv pro vs Tube

It’s been a few years since some of the initial posts of peoples experience with these two devices, the pro model, and tube. I think the current GEN of these devices is 2019?

Doesn’t seem to be any word on if Nvidia is going to release a newer version of the Nvidia shield TV anytime soon.

Only thing I recall different between the two lack of USB ports and 32 bit OS.

But just wondering if anyone cares to share their current experience of the performance between these two models of late. For watching live tv via Channels. Seeking as well.

I think the SD card in the tube is starting to act up a little bit. Weird. thing is a bit sluggish. But I’m also working on replacing the network run to that one.

Considering replacing the tube with the pro model in my mothers room…. Not sure what to do with the tube model then though…. Maybe someone here would be interested in buying it?? Also have a tivo stream 4k i have not used in years. I know apple tv is now cheaper, but she likes the backlit remote of the Shield.

I have both, use the "Tube" every day. Occasionally it won't load channels, reboot fixes it.

I have both.

Tube: streaming only. No micro SD, 32bit version of android

Pro: Micro SD slot. 64bit OS. Runs retro consoles all the way up to N64.

Get the Pro. I play a lot of games on my Shield Pro. Dreamcast. Saturn, snes, n64, etc.

Edit: i looked at tube. It does have SD slot. It has no USB. I was wrong in original statement. Still get the pro for retro gaming.

1 Like

The only thing i use the Shield for is Channels app.

They both have the same CPU, but the Tube is 2gb ram, the pro 3gb.

The Tube also must use a sd card to be practical, as it has much lower internal storage.
Which, sd card is slow.

The Pro, i do not have anything attached to it, so it just uses its internal flash memory, about 10GB free, for the pause buffer.
Seeking and just overall loading and menus are just faster on the pro, since its flash memory is much faster.

The Apple TV blow both of them out of the water though....

I’ve noticed the shield TV OS will often end up with second instances of apps open, which you can see when you hit the button that lets you scroll through open apps and close them. When channels and some other apps have issues playing back it is usually that for me.