Show Live TV in Corner in Guide

can the live tv stream in corner when looking at guide or on now?

1 Like

Yes, by enabling the Picture in Picture feature on your client.

i did that but then it stays on and I can't get it off. I was just saying like normal old guides when you looked at guide it would put it in the corner.

1 Like

What client platform? On AppleTV I make PIP go away by double-clicking the next thing in the guide I’d like to watch.

What you’re requesting specifically for though has been brought up many times in this forum over the past few years. The developers have responded, that PIP is their solution. So learning how to navigate and take advantage of it, including closing the PIP window, should help you out.

NVidia shield

Picture in Picture is handled by the OS. Consult Nvidia's documentation for how to manipulate the PiP window.

(Once Channels sends its content into PIP, it no longer has control over the video overlay. On Apple TV the PiP window is given focus/control by pressing the Home button; perhaps Android does something similar.)

Why can't the APP itself control PIP ? SageTV does and it is 10 year old software ? it does not overlay any of the text like Channels Does ....

1 Like

So does Plex.

Does SageTV allow their PiP window to exist outside of the app, so you can view TV while using other apps? No, I didn't think so.

There are always going to be trade-offs. If you prefer SageTV, then use their DVR.

I was using it as a point of reference ... you always assume the worst. SMH I use Channels DVR and SageTV you have a problem with that ?

Even if not — it shouldn’t be against the rules to ask if we can have both. These are feature requests. Of course the developers may respond (or not) — and obviously must maintain their own priorities when developing this software, so not everyone is going to see their every wish fulfilled.

But why be so argumentative? How is that helpful?

2 Likes

Did you try long pressing the home button when you are in PIP?

It's not about being argumentative. It's about stating the facts of the situation so that others may be informed.

Yes, other software has implemented PIP in such a manner as some users desire, à la SageTV. And other software—like Channels—has chosen a different approach. Understanding their differences may alleviate confusion. (And knowing how they differ may allow users to make informed choices whether they wish to continue using one, versus switching to a different platform that meets their different needs.)

I've used TiviMate on an .onn stick I'm about to retire, and must admit I do like the way it handles the PIP (similar to SageTV, it seems), to the point I was looking at whether there were any comparable tvOS apps I could fee my Channels feed into a few weeks ago. It seems quite elegant, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. I like Channels' method of PIP when I have to hop out of the app, but it's a little odd watching the PIP bump around the screen as I navigate while in the app.

Sure, but you should be able to do that, without also being so argumentative or dismissive. And if you don’t think your reply came off as either, I’m not sure what else to tell you.