“Shuffle show” randomization algorithm needs improvement

I like to shuffle episodes for my kids when they are watching a show. I have noticed that when I click the shuffle button, it tends to play the same random episodes each time, even though there are dozens of episodes recorded.

Unfortunately, that's how random works :confused:

How many recordings are in the shows when you're seeing this?

Hm, I thought I had more recordings but I guess some of them had been deleted, it looks like it is only around 15, which probably explains what I am seeing then.

Does the randomize function you are using allow you to provide a seed or anything like that? That is usually the go-to to avoid repeating the same random pattern each time.

Yes, but again, with a small set like that, it’s still easy to see duplicates like that.

I’m getting the same thing occurring. On Plex playlists there’s an option to make sure the show episode hasn’t been played in the last XX days/week/etc. This function definitely needs some kind of way to help with not repeating episodes too soon. I have almost 20 shows with getting towards 1000 episodes & I’m seeing specific episodes being repeated.

I have a question. I have a collection say about 7 shows. One or two shows has 100 episodes and another couple of shows only have 20-50 episodes. So the ones with a 100 are dominating the smaller ones. Is there a way to randomly pick one episode per show before going to the next show until 1 episode of each show has played before repeating the cycle with new random episodes?