Single Channel Series Pass

Hi,

Channels is a great product!

Would it be possible to add the ability to create a single channel series pass from within the app? I know this is possible from within the webUI, but it's a little inconsistent/impractical for my wife and extended family to use this and thus schedule correct series recordings.

I believe this should not only be possible, but potentially be the default behaviour; it would be great if by default, Channels records the series as it is presented on the channel from which the programme was selected. Most of the time this is what we wish to achieve; to archive a series as it is presented on a particular channel.

This is really only an issue when old episodes air on alternative channels (which it seems happens all the time); we can currently only choose to record everything from within the app. It's great that we can select to record only new airings, but it seems that old episodes are listed as new on alternative channels (presumably they have never aired on those particular channels before).

Many thanks for all your hard work!

2 Likes

I vote no to changing the default. I'd rather redundant recordings than missed ones. I do agree with adding option for single channel from within app though.

How about the choice for 1 or all channels in a pass? For instance, if I create a pass for "Big Bang Theory" on CBS, I get dozens of syndicated repeats on TBS and another independent cable source. If I select "New Episodes only" on the pass, I won't get the current season repeats I may have missed on the parent channel. There are programs that I want to get all episodes no matter which channel. All in All, Channels DVR is a great path to cut the cord. Keep up the good work.

You can edit your pass on the DVR web UI and enter a channel number to limit it. We know this would be useful to be able to do via the apps as well.

2 Likes

Is there any progress being made to bring this to the apps?

1 Like

This thread is quite old and maybe there is a better solution but I would also like a simple (default) way to record a show on a single channel only.

For me it's not just about repeats of old shows over weeks, but even new episodes of shows in the UK get rebroadcast on the same day on the +1 channels, or overnight on some secondary channels. For example, Channel 4 has SD and HD variants, a +1 and a separate 4seven channel that picks 'highlights' from all of its other channels. So I can end up having multiple recordings on the same day. I only want the HD channel.

Like the OP I know I can filter to a channel in the Web UI but no one in my family uses that, and I don't want them too really. So for me I would like the reverse of how it is now - that by default it only records on the channel of the show that I have selected, and then maybe optionally I can say "Record (new|all) episodes on other channels" - though I'm not sure I'd ever use that!

Any news on this one?

+1
I would like to be able to select Single Channel or All channel from within App. My wife does not use WebUI. I have not taught it to her. I am pretty sure she does not wantbto learn anything new. She is very tech-averse.

Use case. My wife creates a Series Pass for one of her (i think are stupid) reality shows. She sets it to New. But because other stations play reruns and for some reason randomly mark old episodes as new. She gets lots of reruns. Complains to me and I have to log into WebUI to fix it.