Siri shortcut - tweak?

Using Apple shortcuts specifically “watch” sequence.
Fan dang tastic!!! This may be one work around to another feature request of besides recording as an option perhaps change to that channel for that show….. or of the main channel (icon left side) mini menu change to this channel Xx:xx time …. Short of that.
Mailing the Apple Siri shortcut “watch” (changes to that channel) execute at a specific time and day of the week… would achieve same thing ……

Is it possible ?

I believe this is the ability to have a particular client open Channels to a specific channel at a specific time. (Several cable/satellite boxes have this feature ... it was usually present on boxes that didn't necessarily have built-in DVRs.)

Got it to work by setting up shortcut (watch channel,on other device (Apple TV),
Then using automations with short cut to execute at specific time of day….works great! Can create multiple automations different channels….

A must …. App must be open on Apple TV that’s all….
I believe there is a a way to “open the app” as an automation as well or make that step one….. but since we leave on no need.

There is, I have an automation to turn on the lights and wake the ATV in our bedroom in the morning, then tune a specific channel.

The trick is to wake the ATV, open a specific app (Channels) then have a short pause (5 seconds will do) then tune to the desired channel.

If you don’t have that pause I’ve found that shortcuts sends the instructions to tune to your desired channel before the Channels app has really started up which causes it to fail.

Weird, it should actually handle it :thinking: Work was done to retry if it doesn't reach the Channels app. And work was done to allow the Channels app to accept the request, even if it's still booting up (loading screen).

It could be different if the device is still waking though. These tests were done with the app not running, not the Apple TV asleep.

I’ll modify the shortcut automation to see if that short pause is still required, but when I put it together a while back it required just a little time to successfully tune to the desired channel.

It's possible that it was the apple tv waking I bet. Network requests failing because the host is down tend to fail differently than because the port the request is on is not available.

I used this successfully method

Create this personal automation 2 mins before desired show
Under shortcuts use the automation (top left menu)
Create personal automation
Open app (channels) on device (Appletv “name “ living room”)(or whatever you named your Appletv
Open app channels

Then at time of show second automation
Open app (on Appletv named device) and watch (insert channel desired)

Works great, if you have cec turned on on tv (I have sharp, lg) he tv turns on too!