Skipping Forward/Back: Time?

I noticed, since switching from a Fire TV to an Apple TV, that it seemed to take an uncommonly great number of button-presses to skip forward or backward. Last night, manually skipping through a commercial break for a program that had not yet been comskip-scanned, I remarked on this to my wife. "I noticed that, too," she replied.

So I did an experiment just now: Timed a commercial break. Five minutes. (Just my luck: One of the long ones.) It took sixty (60) right-arrow presses to get through it. Channels is configured for those to skip thirty seconds forward.

Skipping back is even worse. Instead of skipping back seven seconds, as is configured in the app, it seems to skip back hardly at all.

Has anybody else experienced this, or is it just us?

Very strange. I've never noticed this with the Siri remote or the iOS remote app.

Do you have an iOS device you can try? In the control center there's a remote widget which can control the Apple TV.

I think what is happening is there is a delay from the button press to the player playing the program again so if you press it 3 times sometimes it is registered as one time press because of the delay and only advances the 30 seconds. I hope this makes sense. The app or DVR can't keep up with the quick button presses basically.

I think what could work it similar to what Fubo doe on Android.... if you press the skip FF button 3 times quickly is advances 1.5 min. You see that climb with every button press before it advances.

Yeah, we're using programmable IR remotes.

Just tested it with the remote widget on my iPhone. With that they work as expected. So it's yet another oddity with IR remotes on ATV. I could've known.

Apple TV's support for IR remotes sucks :frowning:

I would love a one or two minute skip forward. Apple TV is 30 sec max.

1 Like