Slight stutter during playback

I have been noticing this quite a bit but I never get around to submitting any diagnostics or posting about it. Tonight I did submit diagnostics after stopping playback around 8:12 or so. I was watching a recording of Good Girls on the Shield TV device. It was recorded OTA.

It seems more noticeable when the camera is panning left to right or up or down whether slow or fast. Reminds me of dropped frames.

Other information: The Shield is on ethernet, not wifi. All settings for playback are default.

I see this same behavior on other media as well. My movies that are imported and TV Shows that are imported, especially bad with any that I have downloaded via Playon.

Let me know if you want anything else. I could possibly do some more playback tonight and submit more diagnostics if it is helpful.

So I have 2 appletv's and a nvidia shield tube. I have been fighting this problem for a while now. Here are some of my troubleshooting steps and conclusions.

First I turned off all post processing on my Sony bravia and Samsung tvs.

I first noticed this on a CBS recording of Young Sheldon. Every time the camera pans there is studder.
So thinking it was channels, I recorded the same show in plex. The studder was present there as well. I'm thinking at this point that my hdhomerun 4k quad tuner is the culprit. So I reprioritized my 2 tuner hdhomerun over the 4k one. Same issue.

Then I downloaded the same episode off of bittorrent. I think it was an Amazon rip in 1080p. It too also had studder on the panning motion.
So now I have 3 different recordings of the same show played on 2 different devices on 2 different TV's and all have the same result.

Then I decided to record another cbs show. I recorded the price is right becuase with the pandemic and social distancing, there is a lot of panning on the show. To my surprise the picture was absouley perfect. Every time the camera panned it was smooth as butter. This was with both the shield and atv. Also all post processing was turned off on both of my tvs.

So the common point here is the show. I don't understand why however. Maybe someone else can shed some light here.

My workaround is to enable judder reduction on the TV. Just enough to smooth it out and not enough to look like a soap opera

Thanks for your experience. I think I will do some more testing keeping in mind what you have done/experienced as well.

I do also have all processing functions included with my TV turned off. I have it set to "Game" mode which turns off everything else.

It does seem worse with some recorded shows than others.

I did some more testing tonight. The same file as I reported above plays back very smooth in both Emby and Plex.

I also watched a recording of The Rookie earlier and it played back just fine in Channels.

So, not sure if you had a chance to look at my diagnostics from yesterday or not since no reply as of yet.

Just a guess but you may be seeing deinterlacing artifacts. Is the content you are seeing the issue on interlaced? If so you could try switching deinterlacing in the app settings to see if it helps.

I see something similar ( ex. Last Man Standing 720p) on my Chromecast with Google TV and Apple TV. Playing the same show using the App built into the TV it's smooth as butter. Could be the streamers, the AVR or the HDMI input.... Dunno. Annoying though.

1 Like