Slow death of ChannelsDVR for cable subscribers has begun

Like psperry, I ditched my Cable Card (2 HD Primes) and use antenna and TVE (HuluTV) and have no issue. Lost Hallmark Channel, but fortunately my wife was ok with that, otherwise we get everything else we watch.

Biggest hassle was that I had to port over the "house" line from the triple play package to our cell service because my wife didn't want to give up the house number (she gives that out instead of her cell to retailers, etc). Cut about $30 out of our savings, but still saving a decent amount by cutting the cord.

I have been using just TVE because I packed my Primes (moving) but the sound on TVE sucks on my Atmos sound system .. no way I ditch the Primes. Great sound is a big part of a Cinema system.

TVE is great as a last ditch fallback in case all Primes are in use but for the main system it is bearable but not great..

1 Like

Please reference any public source that explicitly states Xfinity will support TVE in the long term?

Has anyone on this thread suggested a standalone unit? HDHomeRun Prime is just another source for Channels, and all sources can do these things.

This is an objectively "wrong" opinion, lol. TVE is an intermediate solution (a hack if you will) by Channels (it's still in Beta - yes?) to work around the slow death of CableCard.

If you think TVE is better than a Prime with CableCard, you're clearly running a sub-par video and audio implementation where the differences aren't obvious. For those choosing the highest quality and audio, it's still a CableCard device (with parity achievable via streaming from a dedicated provider app).

This all assumes no DRM on the channels which is a different problem (that the majority of channels on Xfinity don't suffer from).

It's all good if you enjoy TVE, but please don't be spreading misinformation saying it's "better". Unless your only criteria is convenience, it's demonstrably not better. lol

1 Like

I guess I'm confused why this is a slow death for ChannelsDVR?

I just dumped Cablevision/Optimum and their CABLECards for all my Tivos and instead now have true 1GB (up and down) fiber with Frontier I stream Hulu+LiveTV and Philo, plus Pluto, Stirr, and SamsungTV with an Apple TV running ChannelsDVR. I get every single channel I got with Cablevision, including the live locals, as well as hundreds more for about the same price. I'm done with dealing with cable companies, their equipment and awful customer service.

If you can't ditch your cable ISP because they have a local monopoly, just get their best internet-only package, dump the cable, and do what I and thousands of others have done, and never worry about CABLEcards again. It's totally liberating.

2 Likes

lol, it’s not. It’s a trolling headline.

4 Likes

FYI, this can bring back those Hallmark Channels into Channels DVR: Frndly TV for Channels

errr - maybe if you forget 3 important words in it...

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

1 Like

When my Tivo stopped working, I decided to give up on Tivo and I returned my cable card. I use ChannelsDVR to watch cable channels. It is called TV Everywhere (TVE). Other posters here have mentioned it.

It's unfortunate cable companies are doing away with cable cards because it lessens the competition. However there are alternatives. Xfinity has a streaming app too. It's called Xfinity Stream.

40 up is high. It's about 6 for me.

Tell them you need a way to work from home and use ZOOM etc and 6 is too low. My original was like 6 up also. They gave me a new modem. I usually use Xfinity support Chat ...

A non-trolling headline would look like:

Slow death of ChannelsDVR for <insert_all_existing_sources> has begun

Instead, we get some histrionic gnashing of teeth about CableCards. We get it, Xfinity sucks, Cable sucks, linear TV sucks. But the misinformation and fearmongering is breathtaking :rofl:

At this point, it's more likely CableCards (in their current form) last longer than TVE (in its current form) - 2030+

I realize that cable cards get you much better quality but I'm not interested in using them if it means getting back on the the cable TV treadmill -- constantly being asked to pay more for less -- usually under contract. No thanks. I have no idea what TV will look like in a few years. But I like the current model of pay monthly, cancel any time. And I very much like that Channels makes it easy for me to swap out services without end user confusion / frustration.

5 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Gigabit is probably just a bit rate, which will vary from bandwidth. The higher bit rate means they can squeeze more subscribers in, but not necessarily improve individual bandwidth.

I can easily imagine a future (15 ~ 20 years) when TV is mostly on demand and linear TV is mostly dead. It will probably be either OTT or OTA ATSC 3.0+.

Just my 2 cents.

I was speaking more about content than how we consume that content. If we don’t start churning out more talented writers, maybe people will lose interest in TV altogether — maybe go outside and breath the air or something. As it stands right now, quality is dropping faster than I can lower my standards.

2 Likes

Oh OK, got it. I agree with you. :wink:

No other source is as perilous. You’re also talking to someone who needs cable cards due to the inequity of the local channel lineups. It’s not trolling.

1 Like

EVOCA, pay stations on the ATSC 3.0 subs.

Antennaman on Youtube Discussing EVOCA

Here's to hoping he's wrong.