So the stout android user picked up a an ATV 4k

And I haven't see Channels run smoother. My main issue on any of my Google devices (TS4k, Onn & ccgtv) has been the occasional but consistent stutters of live TV. Always dealt with it. Nothing I read here has solved it. But it's been on every device mentioned above. My one TS4k is even hardwired on the same switch the server is on.

Picked up a 2021 ATV 4k. And while the setup was annoying as f**K for a non apple user, channels works just fine. Don't care about much else but the basic streaming apps, so it'll do the trick. And I have an old iPhone mini I used to troubleshoot my coworkers iPhone issues. So if I ever need the phone to do anything or make things easier, it's there.

Sadly I still cast so I can't ditch my gtv devices. And I'll never convert to their ecosystem on a whole. Still not a fan. But I'll give props to the streaming device.

My only other option would be to try the tube shield. But I think they're just overpriced and can't bring myself to give it a go. $125 minimum for a 2gb/8gb device with a decent processor and ports? Meh. Shame no other gtv mfg wants to take the mantle on a premium device. Even Google went backwards with their 1080 one nobody asked for, and the new reference device is still basic continuing the 2gb/8gb ram and storage. 64gb is the future but the new reference device can't even support it?

3 Likes

Welcome. I resisted for a long time too but the end result is hard to deny. Don’t worry about migrating to the ecosystem. I bought my first Mac last year and will never go back to Windows. I make Apple earn my business but they usually do.

2 Likes

It's only because channels was designed around Apple. Apple earning my business has nothing to do with it. And if I had to do anything with their ecosystem to use an ATV, I wouldn't have bought one.

But the ATV stands alone just fine.

1 Like

Since you mention the Tube Shield, I just want to let you know that I bought that when it first came out and it was the worst Android experience I have ever had.

Just for background I have every version of the original Shield TV up to the newest one and other Android sticks and Google TV stick, etc.

Perhaps your experience would be different, but that is what I have gone through.

I now own 3 Apple TV devices and unplugged all my Android stuff.

Sorry. Disagree. Android has always presented glitchy in my experience. Great platform if you like to tinker because it will truly never end.

This thread is getting to look like Another Apple VS Android fight .. soon will be close by developers .. willing to bet.

4 Likes

Couldn’t resist.

I had both shields tube and the regular one. A few Rokus and Tivo stream. It was great until I got the Apple TV. Are there always going to be use cases where you like the other better? Sure thats almost everything. As far as other Apple products I don't see myself changing over. I like my google fi phone and tablets. But for a good streamer Apple TV box is nice.

2 Likes

I’m not so much pro-Apple as I am anti-Google and to a lesser extent, anti-Microsoft. I think Google and Microsoft are desperately uncreative companies where whatever they have that’s good was acquired rather than created. Apple is less so but I worry they are heading in the same direction. The problem is all three are so big that they are likely to suck for a long time before they fail.

1 Like

I wish the Apple devices were more open like the Android devices are, but the performance and integration of the Apple ecosystem is unparalleled and more than makes up for its walled garden. One good example is the iPhone-Apple TV integration. Any time you have an input on the Apple TV, you can type it using your iPhone. It is such a huge time saver

I've rooted and rom'd my fair share of android devices over the years. Don't care to do it on a streamer device that should just be plug and play. I also do care about pirated content which is the vast majority of tinkerers and side loaders.

I'm actually going to forgo the Shield tube and go with the Rocketeck G2 which is the same as Nokia 8010. Latest amlogic chipset. 4gb of ram. 32gb on board. USB-a, usb-c, Ethernet, optical. All the certs, bells and whistles. $111 at Newegg.

And c'mon people. Don't give a crap about android vs apple debates. Don't care about the general pros and cons of the various streaming platforms. This is strictly about how channels works on the devices. And I'm totally fine with all my android streamers and how they work outside of Channels, so I really don't care about all the inflammatory opinions on either side. You play in the camp you play in. No one cares why.

So honestly, keep your allegiance opinions to yourself.

In regards to Channels, after a few weeks, it just seems like it runs smoother on the ATV than any of the basic 2gb/8gb amlogic Google devices. I do wonder if the 2gb of ram is the limiting factor, or if I need to up the storage to have channels run smoother. One reason why I'd like to try the new rocketeck g2 with 4gb of ram and 32gb on board. And no dongles needed for Ethernet along with optical out for casting audio without the TV.

Would the devs care to comment since they test on the various devices.

You’re absolutely right! I blame whoever started this thread.

perry you crack me up.

Me too. String him up. Oh wait... :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.