Soap opera effect

I was just catching up on Ghosts on CBS, and around episode 7 it went from looking "normal" to a heavy soap opera effect. The motion is smoother, the lighting is brighter and all the actors just sort of pop rather than blending to the background as much.

Not sure what changed. I suppose it could be the signal from the provider, something in Channels or something in my AppleTV. Any thoughts?

My source is an HDHomeRun recording the OTA signal from WCBS-2 in NYC.

Maybe WCBS flipped a switch to ATSC3? or since they already did are playing around with it?

It's weird, when I got home at night I did some playing around in Apple TV, switched from SDR to HDR, and then rewatched the same recording, and the problem had gone away.

But then I switched it back to SDR again, and rewatched, and it still looked fine.

So either something got goofed up in the Apple TV and a reset of that setting fixed it, or... maybe the real problem was my TV and the time of day. I think I've got all the settings at their most basic, but it was midday and super bright in the room when I was watching (not my usual TV watching conditions) -- perhaps the TV is doing some ambient condition sensing and is throwing on all the bells and whistles in bright sunlight.

I dunno, have to do more testing, and try to find the menu on the TV that would do adjustments in bright ambient light.