[SOLVED] Small bug annoying bug on Shield - cannot see what menu selection you're currently on

When navigating the little side menus (recordings, guide, on now, on later) it can be VERY hard to tell which menu option you're currently on. The menu (on my screen, anyway) is white and the currently selection is white and bolded. But the different between bold and not bold is so very small, it's nearly impossible to tell. Any way to change the "what menu option the cursor is currently on" to a color? Or make it enlarge? I'd say its just me and my old eyes, but my kids struggle with it as well.

2 Likes

Do you have any accessibility settings enabled like high contrast?

2 Likes

Not that I know of. You mean within the channels app or within the shield/android settings? I've never set those up and I am fairly sure no one in our household has.

Android settings

Your problem sounds a bit different than mine, but I occasionally have the menu text disappear on my Shield. If I navigate away from the menu and then go back to it, the text usually comes back. I haven't posted about it because it hasn't been a big enough problem, but I don't know if it could be related at all to what is being described here.

no accessibility settings are on

1 Like

Okay. A photo would be helpful

1 Like

Made a short video to show the bug. One thing I realized making the video - there's SOME distinction between the current menu item and the other menu items (though not substantial) but that distinction doesn't follow the buttons. When you're on ITEM1 and click downward, the BOLDing doesn't follow - so you have no idea what you're on. I'm explaining it badly but this video shows it:

1 Like

On my Shield (2019 Pro, 9.1.1) there is no bold highlight. The default text is white and the selected item is light purple. You may want to check your color space settings on the TV.

1 Like

That's odd. How would my color space settings change just that one single thing? Regardless, I just checked my TV and all color is set to "standard" (Samsung)

I am able to reproduce your problem by turning on the "High contrast text" option in the Shield Accessibility settings. Are you sure you don't have it turned on?

1 Like

You are correct, thank you! I have NO recollection of turning that feature on but it was definitely the culprit. Turning it off fixed things. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

this was the problem ^^ I thought you meant on my TV or in the Channels App, but I did in fact have high contrast ON within the Shield settings itself and that was causing the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.