Sometimes, it takes a long time for playback to start for a recording

Often times, especially when trying to play a longer recording perhaps a sporting event, it can take as long as 10 seconds or more for playback to begin. Seeking within the timeline is also slow. This is occurring on the latest gen Apple TV and a Mac Mini M2. Any thoughts?

Are your clients/server wired or are you using wifi?

All are wired.

1 Like

Using the latest client release, what results do you get on Settings > Support > Speed Test?

934 down and 927 up.

I have this issue as well (for a long time). Same down/up as Ahwman. I've noticed it happens mostly on TVE channels that have automatic commercial skip (not comskip post processing). If you enable "Start live detection when watching in-progress recording" it will also happen (I turned this option off after noticing the play delay). I generally know this is going to be an issue when I have the initial play delay (~10 seconds delay when hitting play the first time).

When I have experienced this in the past, the hard drive storing the recordings was asleep. Have you checked the power management settings for the drive that stores your recordings?

My hard drive is set to never sleep. All power management is disabled and I can confirm that in my case at least, this is not the issue. Good thought however…

ssd does not sleep. keep in mind, if i watch a 4k movie from a virtual channel (imports), it starts instantly and I can fast forward, rewind in real time.

I've seen this too, and often it's on FS1 for some reason. But it seems to be random from what I can see. I had a race recording last weekend that wouldn't start at all, just endless spinning wheel.