Space needed on Apple TV?

I ran into the attached "no space left on device" message today on one of my Apple TVs (a 32 GB model), and, reading around in the forum here, it seems this is telling me the Apple TV is filling up (the server drives have hundreds of GB's free). How much space do I need on the Apple TV for buffering, etc? Just trying to figure out how much stuff I need to delete.

No, it's telling you that your Apple TV is out of space to receive the content from your server. It's the client that needs more space, not the server.

Right. So I was wondering how much space on the client (Apple TV) I need.

There is a setting to keep the buffer on the server .. I do not know where it is on Apple TV .. I am sure someone here does. That way you do not have to worry about Space on AppleTV.

Wasn't easy to find!

1 Like

2 gig available should be enough. I would avoid storing the buffer on the server if possible.

Thank you for all the replies. I’ll have to check out tomorrow how much space I’ve used.

This isn't an error you should ever see, so something has gone wrong. If you haven't, if you could Submit Diagnostics from the app the next time it happens, it could help us track down how we used up all of the free space. The intention is to always have a bit available so this doesn't happen.

Will do. I just deleted some unused apps, but if it reappears I'll figure out how to submit diagnostics.

For anyone wondering how you figure out space on the Apple TV, tvOS itself doesn't tell you the total (I think because the amount of storage being used is fluid depending on things that are cached, etc.). "Manage Storage" under "General" in Settings will tell you how much each app uses, but I think this might even just be the base download size of the app, and doesn't include all the data that can accumulate. The system supposedly purges space as needed. I downloaded an app from the App Store called "TV Info" which purportedly tells you your used/available space.

I am having the same issue. I will do my best to export the logs from my AppleTV if it happens again. I did delete unused apps in hopes that it will resolve this issue.

Please go to Settings -> Support -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from your device and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.