Spectrum Apple TV Remote Guide

The Spectrum Apple TV remote has a “Guide” button that says it launches the Spectrum app automatically because thats the service listed as “TV Provider” in settings. Is it possible for Channels to be listed as “TV Provider” or otherwise somehow remap that button so it doesn’t launch their awful Spectrum app?

1 Like

A couple of years ago the developers integrated the Spectrum remote to Channels. The guide button on the remote launches the Quick Guide in Channels.

Oh sorry! I didn’t realize. It doesn’t open the main Guide screen? Or is that selectable within Settings?

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s documented anywhere but in the forums. Not selectable; quick guide only.

1 Like

The button is recognized inside our app.

It cannot be used to launch our app though.

Ah okay thanks! Can it do anything other than open the Quick Guide?

Forum search reveals two different answers (I don't use one)

Right, I don't use Option 1 since the Spectrum app is generally terrible and I live totally within Channels... if I could use the Guide button to trigger the Full Guide, that would be awesome. I don't really need it to launch the app like it does for Spectrum. Just launching the Full Guide would be incredible.

I think it will only trigger the spectrum app if you’ve set it up as your TV provider in the settings - if not will not do anything outside of channels, as far as I am aware.

Inside of channels:

• If you are watching live Tv it will bring up the quick guide
  • if you are browsing your media, it will go to your full grid guide

It’s been a long time since I actually had the Spectrum app to use. But, I have a vague recollection that uninstalling it will then force the remote to activate the quick guide.

I don’t have the app installed since I don’t have Spectrum. I just got the remotes off eBay.

I just checked and the behavior is still the same as I described here:

Guide button going to the “quick guide” kind of 1/2 makes sense when watching live tv but showing “info” when watching a recording - not so much. But “down”
does the same thing so it’s not adding anything in those scenarios.

That said, I LOVE these remotes. The layout is more intuitive for me but more importantly for my wife. If she does need to look at the remote to find the right button, the backlight is there. The touch functionality in the OEM Apple Remote is cool but also sometimes too easy to accidentally trigger something unintentionally. Not having that damn Siri button off of the side of the remote was almost reason enough to switch for us. 99% of the time when I pressed that button, it was accidental.