Spectrum stops support of cable card

Hi there, I found out today that Spectrum is dropping my cable card support on 3/20/2024. I have used HDHomeRun with a cablecard to get my local channels. None of them provide TVE access. I have too many trees around for an antenna.
I tried a quick test of HDHomeRun with the cablecard removed but as I suspected, it didn't work.
I checked local TVE and it looks like only ABC and CBS are available. FOX failed and I didn't see a link for NBC, PBS, or CW on the Channels->Local Channels page.

Does anyone have a solution for getting local channels into the Channels universe without a cablecard or antenna?

2 Likes

You may be able to make use of Chrome Capture or use an HDMI encoder, search the forms here for those threads on how to use those for custom channel creation. It is not easy but it works in most situation where one can find those channels online via stream service/networks websites but are using DRM.

Comcast/Xfinity stopped giving out Cable Cards in my area years ago...

You know your topography better than we do, but I have thousands of trees, hills, buildings, etc. between my residence and the towers 30 miles away and a good antenna still works fine.

How did you find out Spectrum stopped supporting cablecard? Does that mean you will just continue to use it until something breaks?

There have been many people getting notices from Spectrum.
If you still have a working cable card and your area is changing the frequencies used, you may be able to get a high split converter from Spectrum and it will continue working.

Just one example here HDHomeRun Prime and Spectrum Cable DFW - Silicondust

For me the bottom line is that Spectrum sent about a dozen emails saying cable cards would stop working on January 15th - only one of which mentioned High Split Converters and the ability to keep using the cable cards after January 15th. But at least in January 2024 - Spectrum does still support cable cards (at least for existing customers) and will provide High Split Converters at no cost to the customer.

1 Like

My neighborhood still supports them because they haven't upgraded the infrastructure for the HSC and beyond. I was asking the OP what [specifically] what caused them to think that Spectrum stopped supporting cablecards.

speedingcheetah,
I started the Chrome Capture install process but got bogged down in the detail. If it's my last hope I will try harder.

Kryptonyte,
I wish an antenna would work. Several years ago in February I put a pretty decent one in the attic and it worked great until the oak trees got their leaves. After that I got terrible pixelation. That's when I went with HDHomeRun and a cablecard.

I got a letter in February telling me my old plan is being cancelled and on 3/20 I will be switched to a more current plan. I didn't want what they were suggesting so I called today to set up Spectrum Choice (15 channels of my choosing). The support person saw I had a cablecard, put me on hold for a while, came back and told me that none of the current plans that I can choose from support cablecard.

I didn't press the issue because I knew the day was coming. However, I will call back and ask about a High Split Converter.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

I get CBS, NBC, and FOX through Fubo, but network availability is different in different cities. I don't get PBS, ABC, or CW through Fubo. I can get ABC directly on Fubo, but not by TVE.

If you don't need closed captions, you can get PBS by using VLC Bridge for PBS.

I get some antenna signals with a big antenna mounted on a mast above my roof.

Thanks to chDVRuser I looked around for more info about High Split Converters. I found a TIVO forum that talked about getting an HSC using a spectrum form at Spectrum.net. Someone else said the form is gone but I went there anyway. Sure enough, the form is gone but the cablecard support number is there. I called and they talked about getting me an HSC but then eventually they said they could simply reconfigure the cablecard from their end so that it will keep working after the 3/20/2024 date. The support person said they don't advertise that they will continue to support cablecards in the letters they send out but they will if asked.
My package has been switched and everything seems to be working. I'll post again if there is a problem.
PHEW!

Thanks, everyone!

3 Likes

You may want to consider a roof mount antenna professionally installed. I was in the same boat at my last house. I was 38 miles from the towers and a bunch of hills in between. Neighbors said i was crazy when i told them i was putting up an antenna. Guy came out and installed it then tuned that thing to where i had 90%+ on every station. Attic antennas are convienent but you do lose a lot of signal strength. Its ok if you have it to lose but in your case you obviously dont...

I agree with @slampman to try a good outdoor antenna on your roof. Your attic brings on additional interference.

Have you checked this: Antennas Direct | TV Transmitter Locator and Mapping Tool to see how far you are from all of your antennas around you?

I did check the antenna info site years ago when I tried the attic antenna. For some reason I thought the channels were migrating to VHF but that doesn't seem to be the case. I live in the 27613 zip code. The distance isn't far and I was surprised I had problems before. But I did. I did get a reprieve from Spectrum but I need to be proactive and get an antenna working. I am not confident of putting the antenna outdoors myself. Mostly, making sure I've protected the house and equipment from a potential lightening strike. I'll look into all that more myself and also maybe take your suggestion to get a pro to install.

Thanks for the input!

Your ABC and CBS affiliates are both Hi-VHF, so make certain whatever antenna you use has the longer elements needed to receive VHF.

This is the antenna I use outdoors from 31 miles and get nearly 100% signal on all stations even without using the included pre-amp.

The ATSC 1.0 transmitters are. RabbitEars.Info

He's looking at the ATSC 3.0 NextGenTV transmitter on RF14 (low UHF)

See Rank #30 here RabbitEars.Info

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 14-18-04 RabbitEars.Info
Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 14-18-45 RabbitEars.Info

Stay away from the Antennas Direct tool, their "predictions" are useless as they go solely by distance and do not take patterns, power, height or terrain into account. Like for me they claim my strongest signal is a 0.4 kW Class A VHF station from 24 miles away that has a null towards my direction to protect the full power station I get on that RF number. It also has problems dealing with translators where it will display the tower of a random translator that you have 0% chance of getting instead of the tower of their full power signal.

Use the RabbitEars search instead: RabbitEars.Info
You can also click the distance for each station in the results to see the terrain profile between that station's tower and your antenna.

1 Like

That company is a real gem. Do you mind me asking, what do you pay for TV services per month?

Suds, chDVRuser, & kyl416,
Thanks for the antenna link and good to know about RabbitEars.info. Thanks.

Kryptonyte,
My old plan didn't break down TV service and internet. The bundle was $140 + $40 taxes/surcharges/etc. Total $180/month.
The new plan did break out TV service. The TV Select is costing me $80/month which includes a $20 discount for 2 years. TV Choice, which is 15 channels of my choice in addition to locals, costs $65/month. Neither of these prices include taxes/etc. I'll probably switch to Choice when the Select plan discount is over, I don't even use 15 channels. I forgot what they said my total will be. I think around $160/month for TV & internet. If drastically different when I get a bill, I'll update.