SSD in DVRs - concerns?

I understand SD cards are likely not recommended for ongoing storage for DVRs due to short lifespan, but what about the current generation of SSDs as long as someone isn't recording 24x7?

Here's one persons thoughts from 3 years ago, what is the consensus now?

Using SSDs in DVRs

I've used various SSD's in my DVR server(s) for over 7 years without issue (SATA and m.2). I still have 3 of my first OCZ Vertex 30 GB SSD's from 2009 in storage. I pull them out once in a while for a little nostalgia, or to swap into someone's Windows XP system for an OS boost.

I would say it depends on your needs and usage level.

If you need a very large amount of space, like to store many recordings, or have a Local Content Library, and very very frequently record things, then a large HDD would be best overall. Large HDDs are pretty cheap these days vs large SSDs are still much more expensive.

If you do not need a large amount of storage, have average recording habits, a ssd is fine.

I have had a Samsung 840 Evo 2TB ssd in use as my main drive for Channels DVR, and Emby before that, for 5yrs at least...drive is still fine.

There were problems using SSD in old Tivo units. But it stemmed from them recording all 4 or 6 tuners 24/7 to maintain buffer. No modern DVR does this.

1 Like

As long as you get the right SSD, lifespan should no longer be a concern. The link you provided is from 2017 and lifespan of SSDs have increased significantly since then. For example, one of the SSDs used in the link is the Samsung 850 EVO which had a Terabytes Written(TBW) rating of 150 for the 1TB version and 300 for the 2TB version. The Samsung 860 EVO jumped to 600 TBW for 1TB and 1200 TBW for 2TB drive. You can currently get the 860 EVO 1TB for $100 and 2TB for $200. Note: the Samsung QVO series does not have the same life expectancy so I recommend you go with the Samsung EVO series.

SSDs are nice because they are small, quick and can be used externally with just USB power.

This is the right answer. Constant buffering of channels is the SSD-killer, or at least used to be. No buffering = no concern.