Storage on HDHomerun required?

I just ordered (an hour ago) a, "SiliconDust HDHomeRun Scribe Quatro OTA DVR Recorder with 4 TV Tuners & 1TB of Recording Storage" However, I ordered that before deciding on purchasing channels and installing the DVR server.

I have tons of extra disk and I also have a WDMycloud with 2 drives and 3TB of storage.

So my question is, is there any value in the HDHomerun having it's own storage? I can likely cancel the order and get the other model that doesn't have a hard drive.

The Scribe is intended for the SiliconDust DVR service. If you're going to install Channels on your own NAS, you don't need a Scribe. You want a Connect Quatro. That's what I'm using.

2 Likes

Channels (or likely any other software) cannot Accra and make use of the Scribe's (or Servio's) internal storage. The Scribe will only appear to Channels as a tuner, not storage.

Thanks guys. I cancelled it and will order the Connect Quadro

3 Likes

Which version of My cloud? Not all are compatible with Channels

That's only if he wants to install Channels on the MyCloud. Using it as storage only works well.

I could never get it to work right

Mine worked fine from what I can remember...I've since switched to a larger USB3 drive for Plex and Channels storage.