Strmlnk - watched

Love the strmlnk concept!!!

I've read the explanation to not automark TV as watched and that makes sense. However, it seems that you could perhaps build in a workaround. When the user launches a strmlnk a different app (e.g. HULU) opens up. At this point it seems that you could ask channels DVR to remember that the app (HULU) was opened up. When exiting the app you would be taken back to Channels DVR. At this point Channels DVR recalls that the you left the Channels DVR via XYX TV strmlnk and asks if you want to mark the episode (or mulitiple episodes) as watched. This would put the user in control without doing this automatically.

Which client would you like to see this on? Redirecting the user after they have left the Channels app is likely not possible on many of them.

Apple TV. This is how the Watchaid app works.

I have been a huge fan of WatchAid on Apple TV for many years. I worked with them to add support for PLEX TV Shows which works really well (I mean I tested it for them). However, it is really only 1 guy now (maybe 2 in the beginning) and it is pretty much no long supported or at least he no longer replies to support emails. The main issue for me now is he pretty much dropped support for New Hulu TV Episodes around March 15, 2021. I would always watch NBC, ABC, FOX shows from Hulu (next day) commercial free using the WatchAid App to control everything. The App design is great and the PLEX integration is really nice. I guess the business model (only takes donations) was an issue to continue to support the product.

I'm not sure if there is an Apple TV equivalent, but on Android TV I use the Button Mapper app and I made the "Exit" button on my remote open the Channels app. Since the app is already open in the background, it just takes me back to where I was when I launched the episode/movie (IE, the screen with Watch | Marked Watched | Delete). This creates the illusion of a seamless experience that the apps are actually talking to each other and moving back-and-forth.

Despite the wonders of the WatchAid program itself the lack of maintaining show integration makes it very confusing of why some shows don't show, if not useless. Another option is Reelgood but also has problems; Prime support and the Apple TV app is not very good. This would be a wonderful addition to Channels DVR.

Compared to anything else WatchAid is so much better. I still use it and I have looked for alternatives. But I would love for someone to take it over and fully support it. Does not need any new features just support all of the shows (it does not support movies which is not a problem for me). If Channels Developers would add something like this to Channels that would be great but I do not see that happening.

1 Like