Subtitles On Apple TV App?

Just got an Apple TV 4k yesterday. Have it set up on the computer room TV for setup and evaluation. So far, so good, except... The Channels app (I'm currently using the free "DVR" version) does not appear to honor the subtitle settings in TVOS like it does under the Fire TV and Android TV versions. Or am I missing something?

Swipe down in the player and enable subtitles on the Language tab

No, I mean it doesn't appear to honor the subtitle size, etc. settings made in TVOS under Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Subtitles and Captioning -> Style

I know how to turn 'em on in the app :slight_smile:

Hmm, those should be working. There's no change in the visual style at all when you change those options?

Didn't appear to be. Got places to be, right now, but I'll double-check later on today.

Nope. Went from "Small" to "Extra Large" to "Extra Small" and no change in Channels' caption sizes.

Do the color options work? Maybe something changed in tvOS 13...

Ok, now it seems to be fixed.

One thing I noticed was that when I changed text sizes on the OS version with which our ATV was shipped, the size would not change in the example screen in the setup area. I updated the OS earlier today and now it does.

Oh yeah: And a Style I had defined under the old OS version would not reflect the changes I made. I had to delete that style and start anew. I discovered that by accident, by accidentally creating a new style as I was experimenting.

Secondly: You have to stop/restart a program you may have had running in Channels for Channels to "see" the change. If you long-press out, then go back into Channels, Channels jumps right back into what you were watching and apparently doesn't see the change.

1 Like

This makes sense: changes to system settings do not apply to currently running applications. You must force quit an app and relaunch it in order for it to see the new settings.

It looks like currently all you would have to do is leave the video player part of the app and re-enter it. I think we can fix this to reload the subtitle settings when coming back into the app with the video player already running as well.

1 Like

Not with Channels. You just have to bail out of whatever you're watching and restart/resume it.

CC settings are read in and applied when you start playing something. This is normal and many other settings happen at this point as well.

This will unlikely change as doing it while the video player is already in flight would be a little sketchy.

1 Like

I don't think it a big issue, maddox. Might lead to occasional temporary confusion, as it did with me, but not worth potentially introducing sketchiness to overcome :slight_smile: