Subtitles take a long time to appear

Hi

I've recently switched from a dedicated DVR for my cord-cutting needs to an Apple TV 4K with Channels and a DVR subscription. I've noticed a slight issue in that when DVB subtitles are turned on from the GUI, it takes a long time (sometimes minutes) for the subtitles to begin displaying on screen.

I've played back the same stream in VLC and the subtitles are there at the relevant point and are displayed immediately by VLC.

EDIT: This is for UK DVB-T2 reception BTW (AKA "Freeview").

Interesting.

Is this on live tv, recordings, or both?

Let me double-check on a live broadcast, I notice it exclusively on recorded content because I rarely watch live TV (and when I do it's proper live stuff, like news etc. where subtitles are sketchy anyway).

Just to add a bit more info on recorded tv;

If I start a recording with subtitles enabled, they work straight away. If I turn them off and back on again, it takes several minutes for the subtitles to begin showing on screen. The latter behaviour is the same as when I start a recording with subtitles turned off but then turn them on. This behaviour is replicable time and time again.

On live TV (tried several channels) and the behaviour is more reliable. If starting a live channel with subtitles enabled, they kick in immediately. If I start a channel with subtitles off and turn them on, they appear in around a second or so (which is an acceptable delay to me) and the same behaviour if I toggle them off then back on again.

Sounds like a bug. We will need to investigate further and see what's going on.

I would be curious to hear from other users to see if this is specific to DVB or also happening on ATSC captions.

1 Like