Support for RSS Video Podcasts?

Just a brainstorm. There's so much free content available as video podcasts, I'm wondering if it would be possible to access some of it via Channels?

Some great examples:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEDTalks_video

Some YouTube Channels can be accessed via RSS too:

http://tips.slaw.ca/2019/technology/rss-feed-for-a-youtube-channel-or-playlist/

1 Like

Those are usually non-linear streams—think video on demand (VOD)—and therefore don't really fit into Channels' paradigm.

The Custom Channel feature using M3U playlists is really geared towards linear non-stop programming, like regular broadcast TV.

Understood, but "Local Content" has been added as a beta feature, and Channels' paradigm appears to be magnificently evolving as of late. Its developers seem committed to constant iteration and innovation, so I'm submitting this as a brainstorm feature request, that's all.

I recently read a great explanation of Channels DVR as "your personal Netflix" and being able to access linear non-stop programming from my broadcast subscriptions, recorded shows, M3U custom channels, local content as well as video podcasts (basically anything I'd want to stream/watch on TV) seems to fit well with that description.

Just stumbled upon this request. Definitely would love to see something in this realm added. I watch a lot of online web episodes that often are released weekly that would love to be able to bring into Channels vs having to go to each of the website individually each week to watch. I have no idea the backend effort required for something like this but it would be sweet.

2 Likes

For those interested in adding podcasts to Channels, I think I found a way to do this but not via RSS. On my Channels iMac, I have a podcast app (Downcast) that automatically downloads new episodes every hour. I have the videos downloaded into a Personal Media folder, and add that folder as a Video source. Works pretty well. Just need to keep the podcast app running all the time.

3 Likes