Synology 218+ NAS with Channels DVR

This is not a Channels DVR question. But I was hoping since so many users on here use Synology for the NAS devices that someone (perhaps) could lead me in the right direction. I am a newbie with Channels DVR and just purchased a new Synology 218+ NAS to use along with Channels.

Here's my question. When I set up the NAS last weekend, I only had one HDD. But I've decided with the Cyber Monday sales that I want to go ahead and buy a 2nd HDD. I want to set up a Raid 1 so I've got redundancy in the drives. I assume/hope this is an easy task even though I've already got one HDD up and running with everything already installed. However, can someone refer me to a video link? I've noticed some videos on the Synology site, but they appear to be for more complex scenarios. Again, I simply want to expand my existing/single 4TB HDD. I want to add a 2nd 4TB HDD for the second bay in the Synology 218+ and have it set to Raid 1.

My only fear is losing my existing configuration. As a newbie with no help whatsoever, it took me a while to successfully get through everything last weekend; and I don't want to risk doing anything that will erase my current disk or introduce any problems. It's simply not worth it, given the time I've already spent on this.

As the days go by, I am learning more about these NAS devices, but it is a process for someone with no prior experience. Thanks for any suggestions/guidance on my question.

1 Like

You “should” be fine doing exactly what you describe, without any data loss. Check out https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_change_raid_type as it describes exactly how to make this change. There is a note at the bottom of the page that says any data on the drive you are adding will be lost, but it sounds like any existing data should be fine.

I would highly recommend backing up any data you aren’t willing to lose before starting this process, just to make sure you are covered in case something goes sideways.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Should be very simple, all you are doing is mirroring the original drive. Unlike more complicated raid arrays (that are striped across multiple drives and require calculations to expand/rebuild) in your situation it will simply be reading the original drive and writing the data to the new drive bit for bit.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the link. The presenter of those videos does an outstanding job in presenting the Synology NAS features and setup. He does not "assume" the listener already knows parts of the task at hand and presents everything in great detail. I plan on watching all of his videos as time presents.

Question: in the example video, the presenter is "expanding" the existing storage capacity of his NAS, using a Raid 0 configuration. After getting into Storage Manager from the main menu of the NAS, he proceeds to expand his storage by clicking on the "Volume" option and then "create" to get into the creation wizard. Finally, he chose "manual" configuration versus "quick" configuration.

But in my case, because I will simply be "mirroring" my existing HDD configuration by using Raid 1, should I just select the "quick" option versus "manual" volume creation within Storage Manager? Again, in my scenario, I already have an existing single 4TB HDD and I only want to "mirror" that hard drive by inserting an additional HDD (of the same size) into my 2nd HDD bay in the NAS.

Thanks again for feedback here. I expect to get the second 4TB HDD on Wednesday and will add it to my NAS and existing configuration.

I don't know off the top of my head, but imo it's always better to do things manually. I think by default it prefers the hybrid raid... if you have a 2 bay nas and never plan on expanding it, then just go for manual Raid 1 btrfs and be done with it.

That makes sense. I will take your advice and select the "manual" option of creating a 2nd disk using Raid 1. I should get the disk in the next 2-3 days and will post back. Fingers crossed that it will be easy, as I expect it should. Thanks.

Don't forget to backup the system configuration as a fallback to restore back to where you are now.
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/system_configbackup

I must be missing something here. The instructions for backing up seem clear cut enough by going through the configuration settings in Control Panel on the Synology NAS. However, the NAS then creates a dst download file type that has to be "housed" on my PC within Windows 10. The problem is, WIn10 does not know what to do with the dst file type or how to open it. I don't know either. I guess I will have to fiddle on with this feature tomorrow.

Still a ways to go to learn all the features of the NAS. I've had it only a few days now and this is my first ever (NAS). At least I've got my Channels DVR installed and it's working great.

Sorry if I dumped you into the deep end, but was just replying to your post that said

"My only fear is losing my existing configuration"

So this is how to back up your configuration. (Think of it like setting up a router and you customize all thos e settings and want to back them up, same thing).

Same web page I gave you (also same as built in Help on your Synology) shows how to also restore that configuration.

Yes, you have a bit to learn, use the built in Help, the Synology website, forums, read and ask specefic questions. Really not that difficult, just a bit of a learning curve.

I've personally called Synology Support in the US and had them answer some of my questions I couldn't find an answer to in the Help, Knowledge Base or Forums.

No worries about being in the deep end. I am learning bits and pieces as I go along. I am obviously PC literate, but felt like a real dummy when I got the Synology NAS last Friday!

I was just happy (initially) to get Channels DVR up and running and then learned how to map the drives on my PC. I got another 4TB WD HDD this evening for redundancy, creating a SHR-1, essentially the same thing as a Raid 1 configuration. It's about 6 hours into the process (right now) of setting up the SHR-1 and I expect it to be completed in about another 6 hours. After only installing a single 4TB drive last Friday, I quickly realized that I wanted a 2nd HDD for redundancy.

But, yes, it is a learning curve for sure. And there's no way for someone to become an expert on a NAS (with zero prior experience using them in less than one week's time). Plus, I work full time during the day.

At any rate, I will check more into the backup features as I get time this week. Fortunately, right now, I really don't have any 'critical" data on the NAS that is not already backed up elsewhere. So I am good for the moment.

As for learning resources, I discovered the https://my-doodads.com site. I've gone through the first 10 videos on there (about the Synology NAS) and intend to watch the remaining ones as time permits. The presenter on there (sounds like a British guy) is amazing! In fact, I would say it's the best video series I think I've ever seen on "any" topic along techy lines. He doesn't "assume" the listener already knows any particular piece of the task he is discussing and goes into detail in a very meaningful, understanding way.

At any rate, thanks for getting back to me. It's very late now, but I will be getting back to the web page you mentioned and checking out other resources.

Yep. The guy is clearly trained in education and has a fair degree of tech proficiency at digital presentation. He speaks slowly and clearly and pauses just about enough time to take notes or follow him in your NAS. He's very good.