Synology 218+ recording folder visibility

Just installed on Synology NAS, all appears to work quite well. I had selected to create a new sub-folder of "volume1" using the install wizard/interface of the DVR application. I chose to create a folder call "ChannelsDVR" under volume1 and proceeded. All works, including a test recording, but cannot find the actual "ChannelsDVR" folder anywhere on the NAS using it's web interface = the folder does not appear at root of the volume from either "File Station" or "Shared Folder" applets in DSM? Is this a permissions thing? I am logged into DSM as admin. I would like to see the folder separately to maybe share contents with other apps like Plex

I don't recall the details, but I believe you have to go into Control Panel -> Shared Folder, select the folder, then Edit various properties and permissions in order to do what you want.

That's the thing though - that folder or any similar one does not appear there "Shared Folder" in the list

I think you may need to head over to the Synology forum for this one. I've no clue.

Have you tries SSHing in, using the "admin" account, and looking at the /volume1 directory with ls?

There appears to be an issue where if a volume is not created via the Synology interface first, the recordings end up in a regular non-volume folder which is not visible via any of the Synology UIs or interfaces.

The only way to fix this appears to be by creating a new volume first, then using SSH/SFTP to move all the files into that new volume. Then the DVR software can be updated to use the path to the new volume instead.

since I had no recording of any note, I added a new folder using the NAS interface, then switched the DVR setup to use the slightly renamed folder. I actually do see the previously created folder under volume1 when using ssh and ls - so I am assuming I can also remove the directory from there.

1 Like

I have run into similar issues myself. You can use SSH to clean up, as you mentioned.

Hi, I need to do same thing. I didn't create a share before installing Channels DVR so Synology NAS UI can't see the folder where recordings are. When you say "use SSH to move the files" does that mean I need an SFTP client on my windows 10 PC to orchestrate the file transfer, or do SFTP from the Synology NAS UI?

Yes. Use a file transfer client—I believe Cyberduck does SFTP on Windows—to connect to your NAS from your desktop, and navigate the NAS file system in that manner.

1 Like

Thanks!