Synology Cloud Sync issue

So, I noticed this issue a while back and forgot about it for some time. However, the other night my wife tried to watch a couple of episodes of Chicago P.D. but they would not play.

I did some investigation today and here is what I found:

• When trying to play an episode of Chicago P.D. from the web interface the logs show:
2017/04/18 15:11:58 [HLS] Starting transcoder for file-825 at 0s (encoder=h264_videotoolbox, resolution=1080, deinterlacer=linear, bitrate=10000)
/Volumes/Channels-DVR/TV/Chicago P.D./2017-04-05-2159 Chicago P.D. 2017-04-05 S04E19 Last Minute Resistance.mpg: No such file or directory
2017/04/18 15:12:06 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session file-825 @ 0s
  • On the NAS filesystem I see the directories for the episodes as:
Chicago P.D._DiskStation_Apr-05-2243-2017_TailCharacterConflict
Chicago P.D._DiskStation_Mar-21-1050-2017_TailCharacterConflict
Chicago P.D._DiskStation_Mar-22-2207-2017_TailCharacterConflict
Chicago P.D._DiskStation_Mar-29-2249-2017_TailCharacterConflict

** Note the recording in the directories appears to be normal

• Googling I found this:

If you have file or folder folder names containing a trailing dot, Synology’s Cloud Station software will change your filenames to include ‘TailCharacterConflict’, and, in my case, sync files wrongly. The same can happen when filenames or directory names have a trailing whitespace character.

** Which is exactly what I am seeing here.

It’s worth noting that Chicago P.D. is not the only issue here. It also happens with Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

So, the question is, can the DVR preemptively construct a storage directory name that does not cause this condition? (i.e.; does not end in a trailing ‘.’ or ’ ')

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this (very strange) issue.

I’ve added a work-around for the next build, to remove any trailing space/dots in the TV show’s directory name when running on a Synology.

Wow! What a quick fix! Thanks!

Is there anyway to “recover” the files that are in the “bad” directory? I suppose the database is referencing the expected directory and won’t recognize the new directory naming convention.

The database has the wrong directory name and there isn’t a way to change it…

Seems like there’s some delay between when the directory is created and renamed with “TailCharacterConflict”, so you could try fixing the name right before you try to watch the recording.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

Also, I checked the recording schedule and if you can drop me a test build today one of the shows that is problematic is scheduled to record at 10pm ET. Otherwise, it would be sometime next week before the next scheduled recording.

I haven’t yet experienced this issue, but don’t run Cloud Station. I would bet that you could preseve your recording for tonight by turning off the cloud station package.

Probably, you could disable CS and then rename all the directories back the way that was intended. Then you could have access to watch the previous recordings from Channels.

Should have a new build ready shortly…

curl -XPUT http://x.x.x.x:8089/updater/check/2017.04.18.2346

Got it! I’ll install and let you know how it goes.

10pm recording of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just began. The directory for the recording is “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” which has now been renamed to “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D._DiskStation_Apr-18-2200-2017_TailCharacterConflict” by Synology.

Based on your earlier comment I expected it to be “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D”.

Did 2017.04.19.0028 include the change in 2017.04.18.2346 or did it overwrite it? Or, is the change something different that I missed?

Hmm, the fix I added only kicks in when the DVR is running on a Synology.

I guess you’re running on your mac, but recording to your Synology?

I wonder if it makes sense to always remove the trailing dot on all platforms…

Yes, my setup is with the DVR running on the Mac Mini and recording the NAS drive. I know you don’t recommend recording to network drives but I have not had any issues doing so. I run commercial grade gigabit switches and all Cat6 in my home network.

As a general rule it probably makes sense to write file system safe directories and filenames. Although I admit I prefer nicely spaced filenames. :slight_smile:

I notice that the NAS seems to have some small but uneventful issue with the colon in NCIS: Los Angeles as well. But, like I said there are no ill effects from it that I can see.

One more note about my setup that I should mention just in case anyone else runs into this problem. The quote that I gave earlier referenced Cloud Station. I don’t run Cloud Station but I do run Cloud Sync so it would seem that both Synology services suffer from or cause this issue.

What does Cloud Sync do? Can you disable it for the DVR directory?

Cloud Sync is a service that runs on the NAS that backs up your data to various cloud devices. In my case Amazon Cloud Drive.

I used to mirror all of my data drives to local storage but have found that this is too expensive to maintain. An unlimited subscription to Amazon Cloud Drive is just $60 a year and provides full backup and off site storage.

I’d prefer to keep in on for the DVR directory as it provides a backup should local disk fail.

I’ll see what I can do tomorrow. Probably a custom setting like the mcebuddy hack to enable this, as I don’t want everyone else to end up with doubled-up show directories.

Thank you for looking into it.

Try upgrading to this pre-release build and then run:

curl -XPUT http://x.x.x.x:8089/dvr/hacks/synocloudsync

Thanks. I’ve installed it and let you know how it does.

Did a test recording of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. overnight and it created the directory Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D for the recording as expected. So, this fix appears to be working so far.

I’ll update later this week as more recordings that end in a ‘.’ occur.

1 Like