Synology DS209 - DVR Install Possible/"Safe"?

Hey everyone,

I've been a happy long-time owner of a 3-tuner HDHomeRun Prime, bought it the day it went on sale, been using their own DVR not long after I found Windows Media Center would no longer be available in Windows 10. I've been researching third party options, since I've noticed other solutions have been offering a grid guide, which I'd prefer over the HDHomeRun guide.

I've been enjoying lower power consumption, having moved from a beefy Windows 7 HTPC (that I used for everything but storing the recordings, which were on the DS209) to running the HDHomeRun app on Fire TV boxes and using HDHomeRun DVR directly off my DS209, so I'm hoping Channels will still allow for the same capability.

Even though I still have the HTPC (that does meet the hardware requirements), I wanted to see if it would be safe to try Channels DVR on my DS209, given that it only has 256 MB RAM (minimum requirements list 512 MB). Any input would be appreciated!

I don't think you're going to have a good DVR experience on the DS209. I would recommend re-using your old HTPC instead.

To answer your question, it should be safe as long as you disable the commercial detection option. It will likely work okay but won't be very fast. You can always try it out and then move the DVR to another PC or NAS depending on your experience