Synology DS214se

Hi All
I am currently using the DS214se for my plex server, will it run the Channels DVR. If not, I’m looking at the 216play or the 216+ii, would one be better than the other? Thanks in advance.

You can try the DVR on your DS214se. Let us know how it works out. You should be able to record, but won’t be able to detect commercials or transcode to watch in the browser.

If you decide to upgrade, I would recommend the DS216+ii which has an intel celeron processor with quicksync for transcoding acceleration.

Great! Thx, can’t wait for the beta!

7 posts were split to a new topic: WDMyCloud Single Drive

DVR is working great on my Synology 214se, recorded shows load quicker than movies do on my Plex server. Commercial detection is working, and what a great feature!

1 Like

Cool, that’s great news.

Can you check the Log tab to see how long commercial detection is taking to run?

Looks like an hour for a half hour show?

Wow yea. I guess that’s fine if you don’t mind waiting or usually watch after the fact.

For comparison, on my mac mini a 30min show will take 6 minutes to detect commercials.

Suggestion: Maybe its time for Channels to create a spreadsheet (official or unofficial) similar to the Plex Compatibility List (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201373803-NAS-Compatibility-List) with the addition of a column for “Transcoding 1 hr show” and any other relevant info that may aid users in deciding what to get…

2 Likes