Synology DS916+

Mine has 8GB.

8GB. So much for the old saying that you cannot be too rich, too then, or have too much memory.:sunglasses:

1 Like

I have a 716+ II with the same problem. It has 8 GB.

Same issue with a 216+ II & 716+II with 8gb of ram

Yes, 8GB RAM.

To the point @chasut made, this has got to be the first where time more RAM == a bad thing. Can’t wait to hear why.

Also 8GB.

Our developer has confirmed this issue with ffmpegvaapi transcoding and has recorded this issue in our database. But note that, since we do not use ffmpeg vaapi transcoding in DSM at the moment, the priority for this issue will be lower. However, our developer will look into this issue once after DSM6.1 is released later this month.

I finally tracked down this issue and found a workaround, which is now available in v2017.02.15.0045. With the new version, we are seeing faster than realtime hardware transcodes on our DS-916+!

Thanks everyone for reporting this issue and helping us debug it.

4 Likes

OMG! Can confirm, working for me. Awesome! Thanks!

1 Like

Woot! Confirmed here on a 716+ II. The streaming stabilizes out around 1.25x compared to the 0.5x it was before.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Can anyone confirm that they are able to stream 1080 and/or 720 live and recording with the new fix?

Yes - both live and recordings working for me, at 720 and 1080.

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Confirmed!
Thank you for going the extra mile to resolve this, and great work!

1 Like

Picked up a DS916+, instillation of the DVR package was a breeze. Was able to restore my DVR’s from my MacMini too without issue. I am able to stream and play my recordings via my intranet at 1080p. When I am using an outside network I am unable to stream above 480p @ 1mbps. Both cellular data or internet. I should mention that transcoding stays above 1x at about 1.02x. Video appears, but no sound and video does not play.

720p @ 2mbps works with software transcoding, but not hardware transcoding also.

I am not sure if version 2017.03.10.0234 affected the web playback on the DS916+, but I am now able to view 720p @ 2mbps over the internet/data using hardware transcoding and software transcoding. Any resolution above that does not play over the internet with hardware transcoding (rate says above 1x). When using software transcoding above 720p @ 2mbps the rate is <1x with no playback. Everything plays back over the intranet up to 1080p @ 10mbps.

whats your uplink speed? most providers only have 1-2mbps outbound.

1 Like

What I am paying for is 5mbps, just tested it right now and it is 3.5-4 mbps. This could be the culprit.

And unfortunately many providers are using traffic shaping technologies to “fine tune” the bandwidth. One provider has a limit on outbound if there is no inbound traffic… (ie: to prevend servers but allow downloading at max speed)