Synology DSM 7.x "Permission Denied"

My DVR resides on a Synology NAS, which I recently upgraded to DSM 7.

After the upgrade, I followed suggestions here (Channels Support - How do I move Channels DVR Server to a new computer?) including using the restore wizard in order to be able to see the contents of my library.

The issue I'm seeing is that all new attempts to record something give an error: Failed: open /blah.mpg: permission denied.

The shared folder has been given R/W permissions for all "local users" and also for all of the "system internal" users, including "channels".

The existing contents of the Library can be viewed from clients, so the R part of the R/W is working.

I'm stuck trying to figure out the cause of all this and would be very happy for any suggestions...

Cheers.

. . . Edit: give an error: open path-to-content/blah.mpg . . .

So, a solution, but I don't know how it came to be that way...

All/most of the files and directories under the DVR folder (e.g. TV, Movies, etc..) were owned by root:root and had permissions that didn't allow them to be written to by anybody else. (i.e. the internal system user "channels")

Changing the ownership of the directories and files to channels:channels addressed the issue.

For those who had the same question and got stuck at this point, a further explainer is in order. There are multiple user accounts on the Synology and the channels app creates a hidden user called "channels" to read and write to the directories.

You will have to turn on terminal or SSH access and log into the Synology from the command line. Then go to the enclosing folder with the Channels folders (in my case it's called ChannelsDVR) and run this command:

sudo chown channels ChannelsDVR

Enter your root or admin password and press return, and then you can proceed onwards.