Synology NAS DS224+ for $240

Haven't seen this on sale in a while. Usually when it does, it's $50 off, not $60. Not sure what Prime Day will have, but assuming it won't be much better than this.

1 Like

Anyone use this for Channels?

I’m currently running Channels on my M1 Mac Mini that’s also my main desktop which has been working fine since I’m rarely using it as a desktop at the same time I’m using Channels but considering purchasing the DS224+ while it’s on sale

1 Like

I have 2 boxes running (1 at my home, 1 at our family cabin in NC). I'm picking up a 3rd (DS.224+)for my mom's house as she likes CDVR better than the Fubo App.

I have different (older versions) but all are Intel based for transcoding when needed.

1 Like

I previously had Channels running nicely on a Synology DS220+. Subsequently, I switched to a 4-bay DS920+. Channels DVR and several related containers are all running well.

1 Like

I pickedup my DS220plus on prime Day and everything has been running great.
Love the fubo project along with the ESpNplus docker for bringing stuff in.

1 Like

My DS224 arrived yesterday. Now waiting on the drives to show up. My original plan was to move the drives from my DS216 to this one but I decided to get a couple 14gig for the new NAS.

@ert, Keeping your DS216 intact sounds like a good move to me. When I upgraded from the 2 bay DS220+ to the 4 bay DS920+, I moved the smaller NAS to another location to use for off-site backup of my critical files. I manage 2-way file backup by using Synology Drive ShareSync.

1 Like

Still deciding what I will do with the DS216. I’ve got some time to decide while the error checking on the 14gig drives runs (they are refurbished). I don’t have any important files that aren’t already backed up in the cloud. The NAS with the new drives will free up a couple external drives so I can use one or both of those to backup Movies and more critical files from the NAS. But I know how it goes when you suddenly have more space: you collect more media and files to fill it up :joy:

You are right about filling up space. It was not my original intent. However, I find myself am putting together a collection of every classic movie and TV series we like, so that we can eventually drop streaming TV services (other than Frndly...) and enjoy watching all of our favorites on Channels DVR.

1 Like

I bought some drives for my DS220 and it made a world of difference.
I've got channels and a few dockers running at at one time. I'm very happy with what i get from channels.

1 Like

(Accidentally deleted my own post)

Anyone have any thoughts on adding RAM - how much and a brand that has worked for them?

I added to my DS1520+. Never ran it without the added ram, so can't compare the performance. As far as which ram I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C4X9VR5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm up to 20GB on the DS15020+

1 Like

Best RAM for Synology DiskStation DS224+ - NAS Master

Also found this:

From the Reddit megathread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/s/Gy6JjUjaCt

I’m probably going to order the 8gb Samsung from that list since it’s on sale + there are several people that have had success with it in the ds224+. Not to mention that Samsung seems to be one of the few vendors that change the part number when the chips change.

https://a.co/d/22q5hvr

I have been using the Crucial CT4G4SFS8266 listed as "Best Value RAM" in the NAS Master link posted by @Edwin_Perez . This has been working flawlessly in both of my Synology DS models.