Synology to Windows Server Migration

Since starting to use Channels DVR I've been running it on a Synology NAS, but I'm considering the change to a Windows system coming up in the next few weeks primarily because I'm more familiar with Windows, and feel a lot more comfortable working with implementing some of the numerous Channels add on scripts and tweaks on Windows than I am on Synology.

Has anyone done this and regretted the move, or does anyone have any words of wisdom? I'm planning to run it on a Dell Micro PC with an i7 Processor, 32GB ram and a 2TB SSD (the same capacity I'm currently using- I don't keep recordings very long). I'm going to dump a massive drive in the Synology after that and use it to host my "Library" of Movies.

most of the docker containers for using with channels can run on any system. They don't need to run on the same system hosting the dvr.

I've got channels hosted on a qnap. I do have docker containers running on the qnap, but only running containers for iperf3-server, openspeedtest, and mediainfo.
I then use a completely separate debian system that runs pluto-for-channels, tvplus-for-channels, tubi-for-channels, and a large amount of other non-channels containers.

I've also got a synology that runs other things. I do have my movies on a volume there, though (like you are planning on doing).

I guess I'm saying that you should not stand up a new system just to move channels-dvr so you can run docker containers. You can run the containers anywhere and keep channels where it is. If you want to move channels for faster transcoding and comskip processing, however, that would be a reason to switch to the new server.

1 Like

I have been running Channels on a Windows 11 PC. Like you, I am much more familiar with Windows than other operating systems. This past year, I decided to move all of my Media (Movies, TV, Imports, etc.) from my local hard drives on my PC, to my Qnap NAS. I know this is different than what you are looking to do, but I can give you some advice.

• First, make sure to save a copy of the most recent database. Once you install CDVR on the Windows PC, you will want to have the most recent database backup to restore.

• One thing I messed up when I made the switch. I had multiple CDVR folders as I upgraded my hard drives over the years. I mistakenly copied some of the media that CDVR recorded into my Import folders instead of back into the CDVR default location. CDVR treats internally recorded media differently than media that wasn't recorded through channels. Don't mix us these files/folders as it will cause duplicates and missing media. CDVR will resolve it, but it will take scans and pruning. In your case, you may be able to just leave the media where it is without having to move it.

• Others have said that it isn't a good idea to put all CDVR media on a NAS (especially when recording, adding new media). I haven't experienced any problems running CDVR on Windows and putting all my media on the NAS (with one exception). When my NAS was busy with other tasks, I noticed that my Channels DVR clients would react a bit slower. Scrolling through media would cause the images to pop-in much slower and things would get a little sluggish. Nothing too bad, and it only occurred when my NAS was already busy. You can follow the thread I created to use Symlinks to fix the issue when using a NAS. Is it possible to change the location of CDVR Cached files? - #20 by chDVRuser If you are keeping all new recordings on a local PC drive (using the 2TB SSD), then this isn't an issue. It only comes into play if you set your main CDVR directory on the NAS.

The specs of your PC is overkill just for running CDVR. Not sure how old your Synology is, but I don't imagine you will see a big performance increase (other than running comskip). Comskip should run better on the PC than your NAS. I use my CDVR for other things as well (camera surveillance, etc.), and also use it to test new recording methods (like Chrome Capture for Channels). I agree with you, it is much easier for me to try out these new features in a Windows environment.

Thanks for the advice, that helps me confirm I'm most likely going in the right direction. I did consider leaving the server on the NAS and running the Docker containers on the mini PC, but ultimately figured it would be simpler for me to keep everything under one hood.

I agree that the specs are a bit steep for Channels, but I picked this PC up cheap so I thought it would be a good fit. It also gives me some head room to do other things (audio recording, etc.) with it without interfering with Channels too much.

1 Like

You can leave your files on the NAS and run the server on a windows system, even a VM if you like. This setup works great and allows for moving Channels DVR server to any platform with the files on your NAS. Simply follow the directions for migrating to a new server. As mentioned, the backup of the Chanel database is critical to the migration.

Have fun!

I'm actually moving the other way: from my old xeon processor to my synology.

I originally started with Pi4 then upgraded my terramaster (very slow) to my synology. Then moved to my old xeon processor.

I use Kaspersky Total Security on my machines and it DOES NOT play nice at all with Channels. Constant errors that I finally tracked down to the AVS blocking, dropping or stopping things at all levels.