Synology vs rPi

Hey guys, I want to setup the DVR for a couple of clients and want to get feedback as to the best device. Unfortunately macOS which I use is not an option.

I am familiar with the OS of both the Pi and synology and was considering with the synology. Transcoding etc is not a big deal in that I can get a cpu that is within their budget. Its more about the reliability of Channels on synology that I wanted to ask about ?

Thanks for any feedback

I have had nothing but good luck with my synology. I have been using it since September. The only issues I have ever ran into really had to do with youtube itself with their 2fa crap. Which I did find a way around it. But I didn't want to deal with that anymore so I moved on to hulu and got a deal with that which was cheaper. I have been very happy with it and highly recommend. The key with it is to get cmr hard drives. I think WD below 4tb use smr now which isn't as good. J4125 celeron does a pretty good job.

Obviously I'm biased as I use two Synology NAS's.
If the price isn't an obstacle, go with the Synology since the drives are internal and it can be used for other things. Also easy to admin with the Synology GUI. I have no complaints about Channels DVR on them. I currently run 4 Channels DVR servers, two on one NAS and two on the other. Also have Pluto for Channels docker running on one.

I ran ChannelsDVR on a Pi4 for about a year. It did the job, but I just upgraded my NAS to a Synology and moved Channels there. Commercial detection seems to be faster and I have more, redundant disk space. I'm running Channels, two Docker containers and a PLEX media server on my DS220+ and its barely busy most of the time.

Thanks guys, thats reassuring. I will also use the device for other applications such home bridge etc so this seems the way go to.

May I ask why ;0

Ok I hadn't looked into that

You already did

A few reasons. All personal preferences

Easier for me to maintain passes when each dvr has just one source and less channels to conflict/overlap.
Able to schedule recording the same episode multiple times in a day or from more than one source at the same time.
Have a backup DVR.
My primary on NAS#1 uses an HDHR Prime.
My second on NAS#1 uses TVE for the few channels I record that the Prime gets in SD only.
My third on NAS#2 also uses TVE and is a backup for the first two.
My fourth on NAS#2 is my Docker Container playland and currently Pluto only.