Tailscale DERP

Yeah, my guess is the outbound connection at home. The T-Mobile 5g router is undoubtedly optimized for inbound not outbound and in the evenings it gets congested (my suspicion)

I could try running Tailscale on the synology rather than from within Channels.

I notice than when buffering happens, i stop and back up the show just a bit and it gets past the stop point. That leads me to think if i could increase a buffer size, it might be able to mitigate at least some of the issue.

Is tmobile home internet the only option where you live? Usually i only recommend that to people that literally have no other options...

1 Like

No, but it does save me about $120 over Cox and is ok speedwise. It is also not limited like my broadband connection was. I am not a gamer and watch via DVR almost exclusively so don't even stream much. Fine in the house but pulling the content out while in the RV is an issue. I don't have a way to test the difference in carriers tho.

1 Like

While they don't charge for data overages or have a cap, they will throttle your bandwidth and prioritize cell customers with higher rate plans.

Also, I can't recall if they are like Optimum: if you use their router/modem (which you basically have to do with TMo) it will also broadcast a wifi network (separate from your local LAN, but still using your bandwidth) for their cellular customers to use at will, without any real ability to disable.

You are correct. I do not use their wifi but have my own internal network. My Synology NAS is wired so i am not using wifi for that at all.
Thanks for bringing this up. I thought i had disabled the TM wifi but maybe not. Want it gone more for security than bandwidth degrading but worth checking into.