Tailscale DERP

I have been using TailScale, quite succesfully, for a while. However, I have to limit it to 2Mbps streaming. It seems DERP is a problem. I have tried opening ports on my router, but no joy. 1 GIG Fiber up/down with hard wired everything. Latency is around 5ms.

Suggestions?

1 Like

I port forwarded to a test PC and all was good. But forwarding same to my Channels DVR failed. Looking at using TailScale in server…disabling on Channels.

Find this strange.

The embedded Tailscale on Windows is known to be slow.

Thanks. I moved Tailscale over to the server and disconnected the client on Channels. It now streams original quality to my remote client. Just FYI.

Jim

If you port forwarded incoming UDP port 41641 to your DVR using the built-in Tailscale, it doesn't work.
You have to port forward it to the device running Channels DVR and use Tailscale on that device.

My devices are using a relay. What can I do to help them connect peer-to-peer?

If two of your devices are on difficult networks, allowing connections to UDP port 41641 on one of them may help Tailscale make a peer-to-peer connection, rather than falling back to a relay.

I forwarded the ports per Tailscale. Turned off the builtin TailScale. Speed is way faster and supports multiple clients to connect.

1 Like

Which ones?
I found forwarding UDP port 41641 to my Synology NAS running 4 Channels DVR servers in containers allows for direct connect from clients. They initially use the DERP relays to find my NAS behind a double NAT and then connect directly, as evidenced by running tailscale ping <client tailnetIP> from the Synology NAS.
Of course I'm running the Tailscale Synology Package on it.

TCP 443, UDP 41641, UDP 3478.

I have seen some just use 41641

I wouldn't use all those. Better to use Channels DVR remote access instead.
Works for me just port forwarding incoming UDP 41641.

I seem to recall you were tweaking Tailscale / Wireshark embedded. I'm on latest stable. I want to use Tailscale to protect my RDP to that server (Windows 10 Pro). Performance was not sufficient to stream > about 1.5M with both enabled, should I just use the "external" Tailscale on that box and not the Channels server internal one? It's a fairly stout box with an i7 and 16gig RAM, gigabit lan and FiOS.

I had to move away from internal Tailscale. It did not provide enough bandwidth for streams in my RV. Disabled on channels and Installed it on the server and all is fine.

Thx. Will try it.

The recent DVR release should have improved the performance of the embedded Tailscale on Windows setup.

When you experience performance issues, are you able to run tailscale status on the client device and see if the connection is direct or not?

If you have a direct connection, the performance will be almost identical to as if you were not using any VPN at all.

For more details:

Yeah I am getting direct connection at the location of interest, which is on a Spectrum 100Mb connection. The client device is a pretty wimpy i3 with (I think) 4G RAM though, so maybe that's the primary constraint on performance. I'll try both ways. But won't the external, which I want (to get to the admin web page securely), duplicate the function of the embedded? Just curious. No advantage to running both, right?
Thx for the advice.

1 Like

That is no longer reliable for me.
I find I need to do a tailscale ping

1 Like

You are correct. There is no advantage on running both. I find running the OS native Tailscale is better because it provides access to all of the services on the system, not just the DVR. We bundle Tailscale in the DVR to make it simpler for less experienced people who only will use Tailscale for accessing their DVR.

2 Likes

I am using the pretty basic tailscale between Channels at home on my Synergy NAS connected to the Internet via T-Mobile Home Internet and my Firestick Max in my trailer using Starlink.
It seems to work fine until the evening when it buffers pretty bad.
I suspect it is usage related but not sure it is outbound from home or inbound to my trailer. Both the T-Mobile Internet or the Starlink could be accused of issues with congestion when heavy streaming when people get home from work. I do have a good signal at both ends so is there anything else i can do to improve the buffering?

2 Likes

Maybe use your own wireless router? Other than that, I'm not too sure

Are you using the Tailscale setting in Channels? I have found using Tailscale on my server works best. It seems Tailscale is a bit slow inside channels. Also, I use Tailscale via Starlink in my RV and there is no buffering. Also at my daughter's house via T-Mobile. She did have bandwidth issues until they improved the cell site nearest her. I run original quality via both. That is usually only 5 to 7 Mbps on all except local channels. I try to us TVE for everything to keep the data needs modest.

However, I use fiber at my house which is 500 up/down. I suspect your T-Mobile is choking your outbound from your server. I would try some different locations for you T-Mobile router to see if you get improved transfer rates.