Tailscale discovery?

Testing making remote access via server Tailscale (not embedded) only. Or preferred. I notice under Basic Settings, Network Discovery only my regular LAN address (192.168...) is listed. Would this be why clients don't 'see' the server when accessing via a network not my home LAN? I.e. both server and client on same Tailnet and signed in, but Channels still wants to sign in as 'away from home'. Can discovery be in effect on > 1 network? Or must I turn off remote entirely to force it to use the Tailnet?
Already determine embedded Tailscale doesn't perform as well as the server based flavor.
TIA

Discovery uses bonjour which is an at-home thing only

1 Like

So to use Tailscale I need to turn off remote, correct? Basic status shows only the 192. LAN, doesn't show the Tailscale logical adaptor.

It's not possible for DNS-SD / mDNS / Zeroconf / Bonjour to work over tailscale or vpn AFAIK. It uses UDP multicast packets which don't work on those network adapters.

Hm yea I think there's a special case where if its off and you try to do Away from Home it will use the tailscale IP? I'm not certain.

We've tried to find a way to just make it auto connect if you're on your tailnet but it's not simple.

Tailscale is at its very best, in my opinion, when combined with their MagicDNS feature. Not a replacement for discovery protocols, but it allows for the use of simple hostnames whether you're home or away. No need to remember (or lookup) local or Tailnet IP addresses for Channels, or whatever.

OK. I guess I'll try it.
I thought the main benefit of tailscale support in this application is to avoid having to open a router port from the outside to the server.
I do use MagicDNS. It seemed like the client would try to use the tailnet when the 'local' LAN was unavailable. I'll do a test or 2.

Test inconclusive, turned off remote streaming but connection still made via phone's cellular internet connection. Can't change the manual port forwarding at the moment. Will update if further test reveals anything. Worked the same with or without TS turned on in the phone.

I run tailscale on my windows 10 CHDVR server. I also host my Plex server on the same machine. I have no ports open on my router and i can easily access these applications on my server when I'm away from home. My biggest linitation is the slow upload speed, 10 mbps, from Spectrum. Rumor has it that Spectrum internet will offer matching upload and download speeds later this year. That should greatly improve the service.

1 Like

You can use a reflector. I've done it in the past when I had things segmented in vLANs and wanted/needed zero configuration to still work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mikrotik/comments/10yqomk/mdns_repeater_vs_igmp_proxy/
https://blog.christophersmart.com/2020/03/30/resolving-mdns-across-vlans-with-avahi-on-openwrt/

Not quite sure what you're trying to do.

I have remote access disabled on my Channels DVR server.
I have Tailscale installed on my NAS that Channels DVR runs on.
I have Tailscale installed on my iPhone.

On my iPhone I disable WiFi and enable Cellular.
I connect to my Channels DVR server over Cellular from the iOS Channels app using Connect at home and my servers Tailnet IP (have to use tailnet-ip:port).
I then turn on Airplane mode and enable Wi-Fi on my iPhone and it's still connected (but now over Wi-Fi).
Turn Airplane mode off and go outside where my Wi-Fi can't reach and I'm connected over Cellular.
Come back inside and I'm still connected, but over Wi-Fi.

I can tell how the iOS client is connected by bringing up Settings where it shows Connected: IP address
Connected: 100.x.x.x = Cellular
Connected: 192.168.1.x = WiFi

Hi chDVRuser, I'm trying to do what you have shown can be done. I'll take your word for it that it works, that part I have to retry (after manually closing my 8089 port) is ensuring I can run over my tailnet. I don't seem to be able to get CDVR client to prompt me for the tailnet IP, it seems to just connect over the remote access when I remove WiFi access on the phone (Android) client. Unfortunately my pw for the router no longer works which means I have to factory-reset it (DD-WRT) and that means a boatload of setting (static IPs mainly) I have to re-set. So I'm stalling until a big block of time is avail.
Thanks for responding, as you confirmed my understanding.

1 Like

Try disabling remote streaming under general in the channels dvr settings. Then reboot the server machine. It seems it required a reboot for the new setting to update. While your port will still be forwarded it won’t work with setting off. This will save you resetting your router. Then you can go to cell data and when it fails you choose home and enter your tailnet ip. Once you have entered the tailnet address once it will remember it. After that it should connect while away from lan WiFi as long as your device has Tailscale enabled.

OK, turned off remote in server and rebooted. Turned off wifi on the phone which should force it to cellular. It still connected via the "away" path as shown by the Settings on the client. I told it to connect 'at home' and gave it the tailscale IP of the server. It then connected via Tailscale.
So I think I still have to close the port to stop it from connecting remotely but I don't care about that right now. That it works provably thru Tailscale achieves the goal. Thanks for the advice.
P.S. Playing a hi-res HEVC movie over this path works smoothly. Tailscale encoding taking ~ 5% CPU. Transcoding (ffmpeg) for the web browser ~ 55% of CPU and GPU. Impressive performance!

1 Like