Thank you for adding remote shortcuts to Android version

Been waiting a longtime for this functionality. Great to finally be able to pull up the guide, recordings, live tv etc with one button on my shield tv.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! Which remote are you using with your SHIELD?

I have two shields in the house. In one room the setup is very simple so I just use an LG magic remote. I was able to remap the colored buttons and hdmi cec commands on the remote using an android app on the shield.

In the media room with a more complicated setup I have a logitech harmony with hub, so it's quite easy to program the buttons with channels dvr.

1 Like

Cool, which app?

It's called Refresh rate.

It's not really for the purposes of button mapping but there is an option to remap hdmi cec commands. Not too many options but gets the job done. I've heard Tasker allows for more flexibility.

2 Likes

You say you could easily program you Harmony with hub to use the color buttons. Now I feel stupid. In the Harmony settings I go to customize remote under the Shield activity. I pick a color button, choose Shield as the device, but I can't find the correct command to chose. I'm I going about this wrong or am I missing something?

F1 F2 F3 F4 are what the buttons need to send.

On my harmony hub, I mapped the colored button to the following to control my Shield:
Red-F2 for live, Green-F3 for guide, Yellow-F4 for on-now and Blue-F1 for library. This matches the button colors in the Channels config button nav section. When I press the red, it only sometimes goes to live, but usually stalls out, then crashes out of channels back to the shield front page. Sometimes it totally locks the shield interface. Only once did it actually take me to live tv. Anyone have this working? I just got a Tivo Stream 4k for another client and like the way you can get direct start live tv as soon as you boot it. There are no errors in the log when it happens.

LiveTV remote shortcut probably fails for me about 90% of the time on both FireTV and Shield. Takes what seems to be a long time to start, then immediately crashes and falls back to the 'Preparing TV' screen.

Mine does exactly that. But the TS4K does not do that. It is a little slow going to live tv, but does not crash the app. If you are not in the app, just at the front page Android TV, it flashes the guide for a half second, then starts live TV. The if in the app, it starts live TV and acts as a Previous Channel button if you are already in live TV

LiveTV Shortcut is slow .. on my Android devices also.

I'm using refresh rate to simulate the home and recents button on my LG magic remote for my shield tv. But when I'm within channels and I push red for home (that's what I set in refresh rate) it goes home and then it also goes to live tv. Anyway to disable the color buttons in channels? I don't have the accessibility option enabled for channels. I've been trying to figure it out but have not come across it yet.