The Bane of TVE

Any way to get rid of or bypass these?

1. TVE2

No. Those are segments of commercial breaks where a local affiliate or cable company would insert a commercial package. The commercials that display during TVE streams are the national commercials inserted by the network.

Edit: Let me add a caveat: This is just a generalization. Some channels, like CNN, completely replaces their commercials with a blank screen like above.

re: 2) Commercials I can understand
re: 1) Tech issues is a problem, especially with TVE recordings

I don't totally rely on TVE because of this, but was just asking to see if everyone using TVE has these issues.

I'm fortunate in that I can record from cable and some OTA with both HDHR tuners and TiVo devices as backup.

If I went totally TVE, I think I would be complaining a lot more...

I have only TVE and a HDHR for OTA.....the series of shows i record and various TVE channels, havn't had an issue.
But, live, sometimes, those screens come up. but almost always, go away after a few to several seconds. Only once did it not, and was there for 2hrs, when somone fell asleep in front of tv....

Your Provider doesn’t have an app? If I have an issue I just use my Spectrum app

Does anyone ever see "We are experiencing technical difficulties" when viewing live with a network or provider app?
Wondering if this only happens with TVE streams and not app streams.
My problem is when it's in a Channels DVR TVE recording.

I haven’t experienced this issue myself.

I think I've only personally seen it on Discovery networks. (Discovery, Food, HGTV, &c.)

I have seen this a few times on the HBO NOW app. One time it lasted overnight.

Same here. Only seen that on Discovery networks.

Yep, diy and discovery channels.
Usually only record from TVE diy, since it's HD and my cable sub has it in SD only.

I'm fully using TVE, and OTA, for my DVR now. Moved over from WMC/cable card. In almost a year, I think there were a few shows that had issues with the stream. Fortunately, they were shows that were airing again, and were re-recorded. Now the commercial screens, are there all the time, but auto skip is a god send. :smile:

1 Like

I am a new Channels DVR user, personally I am exclusively using TVE along with locast.org, no antenna or cablecard source at all. and thankfully have access to all the channels I want.

I have never seen the first error.

The latter, I see a lot, but only on certain channels. At first I was a little bothered by the difference, but then I came to appreciate it, actually, especially during live TV! Because the fact of the matter is, one of the biggest reasons I use a DVR is to never see commercials. And now I can even watch up-to-the-minute live TV (at least on those channels) and the commercials are never inserted in the first place. Sweet silence, instead of those awfully repetitive commercials for the Children’s’ Hospital or the mesothelioma book.

What’s not to like?

It’d be nice if more channels did this. In the meantime, Channels DVR seems to be doing a good job marking and auto-skipping commercials for me on my recorded shows.

The annoyance is that those screens, and the "This program is not available for live streaming" one will interrupt the program for several seconds, sometimes does not go away unless u close out of the channel, and re-load it.

Far as I can tell, it is only a Discovery Networks thing.