The first recording I cared about failed

I have just transitioned from a TiVo to Channels.

I set up a pass to record all NFL games with the options:

• NFL FOOTBALL
  • Record New Episodes
  • Keep Unwatched only
  • Start recording on time
  • End recording 30 minutes later
    (As far as I can tell there are no change preferences etc. these are the only options)

Preseason started this week and it already failed me, recording a documentary on NFL Network instead of my home team’s first preseason game. This was the most important game for it to record. Very frustrating.

(I can understand why this happened - it likely was listed in the national NFL Network preseason games guide data but was replaced with some NFL Films crap locally so that the local network affiliate could broadcast the game exclusively. It likely appeared on both the local network affiliate and NFL Network. And Channels chose incorrectly.)

I don’t want to babysit my DVR. The only reason I have a DVR is for football, as I’ve long switched to streaming for everything else. How can I set up a pass to enjoy all the NFL games that are broadcast without having to worry about these kinds of issues?

Most likely a poorly handled blackout

2 Likes

This is an issue with the NFL Network during pre-season. It will record during the regular season without issue.

If it really was broadcast on another channel, I’d suggest using the advanced pass tools in your Channels DVR Server web admin to edit the pass to exclude the NFL Network, so it excludes it from the channels it can pick from and will record from one of the other channels.

Ah did not realize there were settings unavailable in the app UX for recording. However, lots of preseason games are only on NFL Network. So I don’t suppose I can exclude NFL Network from the NFL game pass.

You’re confident it’ll work in the regular season? What about the postseason?

Simplest way I can think of to solve it is this (and anyone with other ideas, please say)

Set your local channels that COULD air an NFL game as Favorite channels in the DVR web UI.
Do not make the NFL Network channel a favorite.

That way if a game airs on both a local channel and the NFL Network starting at the same time, it will record from the local channel since you made it a favorite.

1 Like

This thread may interest you:

1 Like

This is what I do and it works great

Oh yeah, totally. The only reason it is having this issue now is because the NFL Network isn’t reliable with it’s guide data and blackouts. This isn’t something that happens during the regular season.

This is a super edge case.

Just a thought, I use the services DVR also to record my fav shows. Not sure what TVE service you are using. Most keep 9 months and or unlimited these days. Also if my internet ever goes down it will still record on Hulu even though I can't access it. Now with that being said I do use Channels DVR exclusively for my recordings and only use hulu when I have to (xfinity or when Channels DVR software crashes "Ahem last week" ;-)). Glad they fixed it fast.

I am a Comcast / xfinity subscriber and use channels via cableCARD to record. I’m not aware of any other option afforded to me - not sure Comcast offers cloud DVR and I have a Hulu subscription, but not one that offers live TV / DVR service. I haven’t dug into TVE yet.

Ah I didn’t know favorites preferenced a channel for recording. TIL! Thanks!

Ahh yeah if using cable card then no other option than Channels DVR. You also will get more channels with your cable card also. If you move strictly to a TVE option. You will lose a lot of the uncommon channels specifically the local sub channels. Which is why when most of us switch over to TVE, we also get an HD Homerun and Antenna setup so we can get those back. Also each service doesn't offer every network. So you would have to shop around for what your looking for. The basic hulu only gives you streaming of their on demand content. You would have to get hulu live in order to see the dvr options. They now offer unlimited recording too. It used to be limited to x amount of space.

I also have Xfinity and use an HDHR Prime w/cablecard in addition to my TiVo Bolt w/cablecard.
I did also add Xfinity TVE as a source, you get these channels via TVE (except NFL and Redzone which don't support Xfinity TVE).
Xfinity TVE channels