The Weather Channel tve now available

It looks like The Weather Channel tve is now available again, started in Jun 2022 I believe.
This is for the separate stand alone app, like ALL tve Networks.
I can I can go to the Google Play store on my Onn Android tv box and install The Weather Channel,
Then when prompted go to weathergroup.com/activate and enter the displayed code and pick your tv provider and sign-in.
This is how all tve apps work,
But the Channels DVR developers have a way that pulls in valid tve apps like this into Channels.
I'd like to see them now include The Weather Channel in their list of tve channels for the Sources that carry The Weather channel: FuboTV, Hulu with Live TV, Youtube TV, and DirecTV Stream.
I am hoping entering that Code displayed is not a deal killer.
Thanks.

I don't think the Weather Channel has a live stream on their site. That would be required to work with Channels DVR.

3 Likes

I believe the live stream in the app is a type not compatible with Channels, just the weathergroup's apps only. And even then, it is only available on select devices. you can't get it on Apple devices nor is it viewable in a web browser. In the end, if it is not viewable in a web browser than it is not viewable in Channels. Would love to see Weather Channel back with regular TVE, but I do not think this is a true TVE implementation of the live broadcast channel.

1 Like

At least for now, you can integrate it via a Frndly subscription, that includes the Weather Channel:

3 Likes

I can not believe I forgot to mention Frndly. It is because of the Weather Channel issue that I discovered Frndly. As far as I am aware, it is the only legit way to add The Weather Channel to Channels.

The Weather Channel TVE app works on Firestick, ROKU, Android TV perfectly.
And I should say it also works with cable subscriptions like Cox in addition to streaming subs mentioned.
It's the same stream as the live channel on my Cox account and shows my city on the bottom banner.
I don't have an Apple TV so I can't comment on that.
This works exactly like any other TVE standalone app; get from app stores, authorize, done.
I hope the developers can bring this into Channels, or tell us why not.
Thanks

1 Like

Why not has been explained in the comments above.

1 Like

Yes, if Channels in fact needs a web browser type url for the stream that Live stream is "under construction" says TWC site.
So we'll have to wait.
I wonder how Frndly on Channels gets TWC, getting Frndly is a little convoluted since Frndly is not an official Source.

That page has been "under construction" for over 2 years. Its an abandoned page. Actually the whole https://weloveweather.tv/ site appears to have stopped updating toward the end of 2020.

The Frndly service does not provide TVE. However, it's streams are compatible with Channels. So the Docker container is able to login to Frndly and then provides/routes .m3u8 playlists of its channels (including The Weather Channel), which will work with Channel's custom channels.

They're a paid provider, like any other OTT provider. They have to pay to get the content and then you pay them.

Thanks for replies, I am familiar with Custom Channels, Can you send TWC m3u8 here or PM.

There is no specific TWC .m3u8 that is shareable. How the Frndly TV for Channels setup works is that after you have your subscription to Frndly, then you setup the docker as detailed at Frndly TV for Channels. That docker container will act as a middleman between ChannelsDVR and Frndly. Just do the standard Frndly for Channels setup as directed. The links in this setup point only toward your own personal docker server.

edited: removed an inaccurate link.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanations.
I will stick to using the standalone TVE apps, that works fine.
Just a lot more convenient to use Channels.

FWIW, I checked out the free The Weather Channel app on AppleTV and it offered a buffet of recent video clips, but no live stream of the actual channel.

2 Likes