TiVo Stream 4K & Button Mapper for Remote

Thanks - I was planning on reprogramming a button if that would work so thanks for the confirmation.

I'm trying to migrate us off a TIVO Roamio (for a # of reasons). My wife is comfortable with TIVO after > 15 years so maximizing familiarity will go a long way towards adoption. The Firestick is just way too cluttered and random to do that. I'm hoping the TIVO Stream 4K will be a good transition.

I noticed that people mentioned that they are getting the Guide button, the Live button, and the Tivo button working out of the box after running the de-TiVo your stream process. I'm finding that is not the case for me. I did use the Button Mapper app to map the Tivo button to open up the Channels DVR, but I'd love to get the Guide and Live buttons working. Any suggestions?

1 Like

You have to enable the Channels Button Detector under accessibility settings.

1 Like

Thanks so much. Sorry for missing that. That solved it for me!

There was previous discussion about pairing a Tivo Bolt Vox remote to the Tivo Stream 4K. I recently did a reset of my Tivo Stream 4K and had to pair my Tivo Bolt Vox remote again. It definitely can be paired to the Tivo Stream 4K. It may take a couple tries but it will pair.

Just go to add bluetooth device and while it's scanning for remote just hold down the silver Tivo button and back button on the Tivo Bolt Vox remote. The light then blinks yellow and blinks faster when pairing is working. Tivo Stream 4K pairing page says pairing then connecting and then paired.

If it doesn't blink yellow you need to either global reset Vox remote with the hold Tivo/Power button 3 thumbs down enter procedure, or do the put in RF mode procedure of holding down Tivo/C livetv clear enter clear 221 clear.

https://www.weaknees.com/tv/

2 Likes

Just picked up a Tivo Stream 4K for an office tv. REALLY like the remote (coming from a long time Tivo user). And the integration with Channels is great. Wondering now if I should replace my Apple Tv with this on my main tv.
I don't love the Apple Tv remote, but like the polish and speed of ATV. And picture quality seems a bit better on ATV.

2 Likes

I have both Apple TVs and a Tivo Stream 4K. The Tivo is pretty good considering the price difference and the remote is definitely much more family friendly. I like the out of box Channels integration. The biggest drawbacks are the buffer size and speed on the Apple TV are much better; and for me the show stopper is that the library management features for a large library, kids section, etc. are much better on the Apple TV version of Channels. Whenever they have parity on the two of them, I might consider it again but the family has acclimated to the Apple TV UI and I hate to change it on them. The Tivo is in my office so I'm the main person that ever uses it.

You can achieve a very similar remote experience with an alternative remote like the One for All Streamer. I have set it up with a dedicated button for Guide and Live TV which brings it pretty close to the Tivo remote, although not quite as poilished. That can be done if you can program those functions to your TV remote for Channels and your TV passes them via CEC. The Sony TVs do. Some don't.

spent a lot of time last night and this morning going back and forth between the two. I find the picture quality is better on ATV. Video is smoother. Watching the news crawls this morning, they were somewhat jumpy on the TS4K, but looked fine on ATV (probably a buffer/speed thing).

I'll likely end up with similar set up - ATV on main tv and TS4k in my office (I don't watch a lot of live tv in the office, so will be adequate).

I'll check out that remote. I do have a Harmony Elite I've been using with the Apple Tv, and have the shortcut keys set up, so works pretty well with Channels. If I could have the TS4K remote with ATV, it would be perfect!

Are any of you having issues with the TiVo Stream 4K playback being choppy with the Channels DVR? I'm having to uninstall and reinstall the app pretty much every time I want to use the Channels DVR with the TiVo Stream. I'd love to hear if anyone else is having similar issues.

I am not experiencing this problem, but have had some playback issues in the past - depending on the source (specifically some MPEG-2 OTA channels). That one I had to resolve by switching the playback decoder to "Software" - although I don't have to do that any more with the latest TS4K update several weeks ago. Some suggestions:

• Check that your network connection is solid. This is #1! WiFi can experience interference regardless of how fast the connection is. I chose to go with wired ethernet.
  • If the choppy playback is from a recording - check to make sure your DVR server is performing acceptably, with no disk issues
  • Is your Channels app on the TS4K installed in the regular device memory, or on an added memory card/USB? I've seen some performance issues when I moved Channels to an external card connected to my TS4K.

Hope that helps.

Considering this is an Apple first service, I doubt there will ever be parity. And you can add storage via usb-c to increase the buffer. At least I believe it does from what others have said.

Well, the near-term update for Android is including Auto-Play and Shuffle support, as well as (most likely) Sleep and Stats. Also included will most likely be the new HDHR/streaming backend, as well as optimizations for large libraries, and a rewrite for some of the library code that improves performance and fixes bugs. Other than the "Enhanced Library", Kids mode, and Kiosk mode, the two platforms seem to be nearing parity sooner than expected.

Yes, additional private storage added on Android (and moving the Channels app to the extra storage) does indeed increase the buffer.

But, feature and storage parity still does not ensure a better UX.

Reading this got me to thinking I might be creating issues for myself having it on the internal storage and not the adopted storage. Which would mean watching tv for hours would make a big buffer, eating up internal storage, possibly messing with the device's intended operations? Perhaps I should move it back.

I didn't say it would. Already sad Apple is the darling so it only makes sense it'll have the best UI. There's things I need to have the best of, and there's things I don't need to. Of the things I don't, it doesn't mean it's crap, and I'm willing to accept it. It means it does the trick for me and my needs so why would I spend more? I'm not living in an A/B world. I'm using A or B. And in this case we're talking two completely different ecosystems. Apple TV doesn't make sense for many if they aren't remotely in that camp. If you're in that camp, it'd be almost stupid not to have one. It's not like they have a cheaper streamer option that works 70% as well that would do it for most.

But you did post an issue, and I did post a solutions for it. So I don't see the problem. I didn't contradict you.

Hi, I found this thread through Google.
Trying to figure out how I enable the paid version of Button mapper after I've purchased it on my TS4K.

It says to download the zip file from their website.
So I tried installing a TV web browser on TS4K and it let's me click on download.

An Android system window pops up saying "downloading".

But then I can't find this file to unzip anywhere.
Not have ever done anything like that on Android.

Do I have to connect my computer to the TS4K or something?

Sorry to reply to an old thread… I purchased a TiVo stream on clearance and love the remote functionality. That said I haven’t figured out how to turn off the tv. Using CEC the tv turns on pressing any of the channels buttons or power, the volume buttons work, but pressing power doesn’t turn anything off. Any ideas?

Check to make sure one key power off is enabled on the tivo under device preferences>more>cec. Also make sure power control is enabled on the tv. Power options vary by manufacturer.

Both are enabled. If I press any buttons it turns on immediately. My fire stick remote does power off and on with no issue, but pressing power on the TiVo remote only does power on… pressing it to shut down does nothing.

Did anybody figure out a way to map guide and live for TS4k with button mapper? I can make guide fire from ADB with the command provided earlier, but cant get it to fire in button mapper.

TL;DR, inside the Channels App the Guide button does what you want; outside it won't work. Just map the DVR button to launch the Channels App then hit Guide, you'll be fine. You can also make the Client Setting to always go to Guide on "App Launch & Resume" so it becomes your default:

Button Mapper does not recognize the Live button, so nothing can be done there. I blame TiVo/Rovi/Xperi.

1 Like