TiVo Stream 4K & Button Mapper for Remote

I followed Here's how to de-TiVo your Stream

Without any other modifications and using the supplied mini peanut remote.
From the Home screen or in any open App:
Guide-Opens to Channels Guide
Tivo-Opens to Channels Library
Live-Opens Channels to the last Live TV channel watched.(Instead of opening Android's Live Channels)

While in the Channels app while watching Live TV or recorded show:
Live-Toggles between last 2 channels watched. Then the back button takes to the last screen you were on(recording page or guide)
Skip-Does nothing(because I have automatic commercial skip turned on)

I also have a wireless keyboard attached:
Enter/Space-Play/Pause/Select
Arrow keys-same as Dpad
1-0 and . -Direct Channel Input
C-Closed Caption Toggle On/Off
M-Mute
P-Picture-In-Picture but I cannot figure how to maximize it without going to Home Screen.

how exactly does tasker help you in this case? don't you still have to run the command every time you reboot in order to get this to work? if so, how is that any different from just having button mapper send the keycode?

At the time, I was using tasker to send adb commands (which didn't require a reboot), which were signaled by sending a tasker intent (also no reboot). I wound up abandoning it, because the time to handle so many handoffs between apps was annoyingly long.

ok, this morning i force stopped the channels app to try to fix my guide data issue and now the guide/dvr buttons aren't working anymore. can anyone assist me in getting this fixed?

i'm not talking anything with button mapper, just the basic tivo buttons that have worked with channels from the start that suddenly are not...

edit: nevermind, figured it out. somehow the channels button detector was turned off, i guess when i force stopped the app. good to know in case anyone else runs into this in the future...

I've noticed that on my Tivo Stream 4k devices that a system update disables the Channels button detector. The first time this happened to me it caught me off guard for a few minutes.

Yes very annoying and the stupid tivo stream app comes back.

i can confirm that it was the force stop that caused this. if you force stop the channels app, the button detector is turned off and you have to turn it back on.

A lot of updates will enable disabled apps when it's an update from the manufacturer who owns the app. Why would they make it easy for you to ditch their stuff permanently?

True, understandable but still annoying.

I know this is a long shot but figured I'd ask before going a different route:

Is there any way to map my TV's sleep button/function to somewhere on the TS4K remote? It's a Samsung 1080p over 10 years old, nothing fancy about it. I have two variations of an older Samsung remote: one has a direct sleep button and the other doesn't so you have to use the Tools button to get to the setting.

On the TS4K remote, the TV volume up/down/mute/power all work as they should, but this would just make everything absolutely perfect. I've been looking thru https://elementalx.org/button-mapper/android-key-codes/ trying to find if something could work thru CEC, and will buy the button mapper pro version if need be, but not sure if it's possible with this mini-peanut.

Chances are that key is not sent through HDMI-CEC. That means that Channels cannot intercept the key, because it's not sent.

However, that doesn't mean you can't use it. With a Flirc, you can use your existing remote to send whatever key presses you want, and that device will translate it into something that your device will understand.

1 Like

I know this is an old post, but could you provide some guidance on how you were able to pair the Tivo Bolt Vox remote to the Tivo Stream 4K? I have been searching on how and if this could be done.

Bolt Vox remote is Bluetooth. Put Tivo Stream in remote control search mode and Bolt Vox remote in pairing mode. Tivo Stream should see it and prompt for you to add remote.

https://tivoidp.tivo.com/tivoCommunitySupport/s/article/TiVo-Remotes-RF-Pairing-Instructions

The Bolt Vox remote is either IR or RF. I tried putting the Tivo Stream 4K in pairing mode, and initiated pairing on the Bolt Vox remote - but it does not pair. So curious how you got yours to pair?

Bolt remote is most definitely not Bluetooth.

Yes, Bolt Vox remote is bluetooth. You have to use bluetooth dongle on older Tivo’s to get Bolt Vox remote to work. Bolt Vox box has bluetooth.

Uses bluetooth low energy spec

https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-VOX-Remote-FAQ

Bluetooth is RF, btw.

OK - I can't stand the Firestick over-the-top UI and have a TIVO Stream 4K coming tomorrow. Studying up on integration with Channels DVR (am running server on a QNAP TS253A with both a HDHomerun Prime and TVE as sources).

Two questions:

1. can you program the TIVO remote with a record button (that is I am watching something and I want to record it, press button and either record instance or series)?

2. How does Channels DVR handle a record request in the middle of a program? Like TIVO, if I hit record in the middle of the program it gets the whole program (or as far back as the tuner was on that channel) or only from that time forward?

Yes. The remote for the TS4K does not have a record button, but a different remote can work. Also, the on-screen record button works: while watching live, press Down (to bring up the Quick Guide), Down (to select the Record button), Select/OK (to bring up the Record dialog). Also, you can use a third-party app to reprogram a button to act as a Record button.

The latter. Live TV buffer for already viewed program is local to the client device; but recording is handled on the DVR server. Therefore, the recording will only contain the program from the time the Record button was selected.