Today's newbie questions - Sorry!

So I'm getting on pretty well with setting up my new system and am incredibly impressed with the power and flexibility of the system. I will definitely be subscribing at the end of my free trial.

I've just about finished setting up my custom remote and it is all working well over IP using a combination of ADB to control my Nvidia Shield and the Channels API for specific Channels commands.

Today's first question is about the record_toggle command in the Channels API. As my remote has a record button I have it set up to send the record_toggle command. This works great
when you are watching a program - the pop up window appears saying "Recording Started" or the Cancel option if it is already recording. But if I'm browsing the Guide and highlight a program I want to record sending the API command "record-toggle" does nothing. I notice that the documentation it only mentions the currently playing item so this is probably expected behaviour but is using it to record directly from the Guide a feature that could be added at some point? I appreciate that the system is designed to work on the limited button remotes that come with streaming devices, but I (and more importantly my wife) prefer to have a specific button for these things if at all possible.

Second, related question is that while experimenting/messing about setting up test recordings I couldn't find any command to set up a recording directly from the Guide if the program has already started - highlighting it and hitting OK just goes live to that program. Am I missing something there or is it not possible? Again maybe the API record_toggle command could be usefully used there?

I may be wrong, but I believe the record_toggle only works on the currently playing item because Channels knows what its own player is doing. In all of the other situations you describe, you want Channels to handle recording based upon what the UI is displaying (as opposed to what Channels is actually doing), and that is a UI/OS type of thing that Channels does not have programmatic access to.

(In short, the record_toggle API endpoint does not work in those places because it cannot work in those places; AIUI what you want is not possible from Channels.)

Yes, it could well be that. Since I have started this, I have struggled with the distinction between what Channels itself controls and what the OS controls. I've really tried to get my head round what does what but then find I have to have a lie down in a dark room!

To record from the guide block, you hold the select/ok button. That will bring up the option to record. Not sure how you would make it work with your setup to be one press recording but now you have starting point.

Ah, thanks very much for that. There seem to be a few "press and hold" commands that I am missing out on going down the IP control route. I might have to re-think my plan. The more I use the system the more I realise that it really has been well thought out for the standard remotes. I'm trying to shoehorn it into working the way all our previous systems have done but that looks like being maybe a mistake.

If you're already seriously invested in an IP-based control system, you may want to look at an IR blaster/relay. That way you can keep using your IP system, but also have it translate certain commands into IR for those which there is no API for.

Yes. The record toggle action is only for when you’re watching live. It’s not a general record button.

Tap and hold the select button to get the View Details modal, to record it.

Thanks, I've learned that but the problem is, with IP control there is no long press functionality, so I need to look at others options.

Just to update. With a combination of FLIRC, ADB, Channels API and I've now got my remote working pretty much exactly as I want. The system isn't in full time use yet as I want to make sure it's as Wife ready as possible before the changeover, and I'm sure there will be a few more tweaks along the way, but it's looking good.

As I scramble up the learning curve, I get more and more impressed with what Channels can do.

Thanks for everyone's input. And beware of more questions on the way!!

You might be surprised by the reception. My wife rarely turned on the TV in the past, and I didn't even mention Channels to her (or, if I did, it was only in passing), figuring I needed to work out all the kinks, first. Now, though, she's discovered it and watches all the time while she's doing other things, even using channel collections (weather, in particular), and a virtual channel I had set up with her in mind. I even went out and bought more copies of the remote (Function101) she likes using, for the other TVs, even though it doesn't handle PIP. Our family room TV went from never being on, to being on frequently.

1 Like