Top Shelf configurable only to show Up Next

On Apple TV, please can the Top Shelf be configurable to show only available recordings (Up Next) instead of Live TV and Up Next. I have no interest in watching live TV and instead would like to see only my recordings in the Top Shelf.

So, please add an option to disable Live TV from displaying in the Top Shelf, just as you can disable Up Next in the settings.

...and/or allow increasing the number of Up Next recordings displayed. Currently the Top Shelf only displays 4 Up Next shows and then lists Live TV shows. I would like 10 or more Up Next shows to choose from.

Currently, if it's not in the Top Shelf, I have open the Channels app, bring up the sidebar menu, scroll down to the Recordings option and select, then scroll through the list of recordings (which may have many episodes in a row recorded) to find a show of which I only want to watch the oldest unwatched episode first.

2 Likes

If you’re picking what to watch with the Up Next option in Top Shelf, I would suggest putting the Up Next section in your navigation or going to the Library section, as Up Next is at the top of it.

1 Like

:100: support this request & suggested the same a while back.

I use Top Shelf extensively to decide what I want to watch without opening apps. I also almost never watch Live TV and when I do, I know what it is I want to watch and what channel it’s on.

Even for those that watch more Live TV than I do, the Channels implementation of Top Shelf seems illogical to me.

Up Next is obviously going to have content that I actually want to watch since it’s stuff I’ve already started watching or recorded so it makes sense to have more than 4 here.

OTOH, with even though the Live TV content is from Favorite Channels, it’s much less likely that I’m going to have any interest in most of what’s there.

The suggestion of “putting Up Next in your navigation” isn’t helpful and feels very much like “don’t use Top Shelf”.

It wasn’t a suggestion against using Top Shelf, it was a suggestion as a better flow than the described scenario of falling back to using the app to find what they wanted to watch in the Recent Recordings section, when what they wanted wasn’t in the truncated list of Up Next in Top Shelf.

The Up Next list in Top Shelf is truncated. So if what you’re looking for is not there, then using Up Next in the app is the better fall back.

As for the original request, we’d like to add more options here as well. Historically, Top Shelf development is very finicky as tvOS is very strict about it.

So we plan to approach it lightly.

1 Like

Yes, adding and using Up Next from the navigation is much better than scrolling thru the Recordings.

Still, I would rather scroll thru Top Shelf than opening the app. Hopefully development can add this to a future release.

Thanks!

1 Like

Ah, didn’t know about that piece. Makes sense.