Top shelf missing images

I’m getting slow images on top shelf and some images aren’t loading at all its just a grey square with 3 dots. In the app, I see them all. I think there is something wrong with the provider.

@Normpak reported the same issue as well. I’m not really sure what’s going on…

It starts like that but when I scroll through the channels on top shelf, they all turn black with 3 dots. Then if you go back to other apps that uses topshelf, they are all black. You just wait for a while on one of those other apps and topshelf will come back to normal.
Then it comes to a point where you just pass over channels app and top shelf will be turned down right away for all apps until you wait again on another app.
If you pass from another app to another back and forth, you will not get the problem until you touch Channels app again.
I’ve reinitialized the apple tv and installed only channels and plex and the problem is still there.
I wonder if I could use an old version of channels through testflight?

Well, this is weird. I figured that someone else would be mentioning it in the last 18 hours. Not many on the SD board either. Besides submitting diags, like I just did, let me know if there is something else. It affects both beta and production. I’ve completely closed the apps and rebooted the ATV. On Now inside the app is fine.

Things particular for me that could be different from others and may affect the channel list,

• I’m in Montreal, Canada but to receive all channels infos that I need, I need to use a US zip code from the nearest US city.
  • I’m having an Airport Extreme router that I rebooted to make sure there was nothing being blocked there.
  • I’ve tried to minimize the quantity of favorite channels to only one to make sure there was no lack of memory by having too many.
  • Knowing that at the beginning of Channels project, we add problems with top shelf related to french channels only, I made sure to do my testing using US english HD channels and found that it is not related.
  • Just updated to the new Apple tv firmware from March 27 and the problem persists.
  • Now I’ve moved out Channels app from the top row because every time I’m accidentally going over it, it makes me loose the top shelf for all other apps and it takes a while to recover it.
  • Why is it that if I make the problem appear it affects all other apps? Is it because the problem grabs all available ressources from the Apple tv? If so, it may give a hint on where to look at?

I’m having the same issue with missing thumbnails.

Last few days I have been missing a lot of channel thumbnail images across all my Channels Apps.

In the Top Shelf, or inside the app as well?

For my apple tv only the top shelf misses the picts but now I noticed that the ios app on my Iphone start to have problems retreiving some of the channels pictures but not all and this is inside the app cause there is no top shelf.

Both.

Looks like for DVR users, the images in the app come from the DVR server but the top shelf images were still coming from SD.

It seems SD’s servers are having trouble serving up images, which is why this is affecting non-DVR tvOS users and all iOS users.

I’m on the west coast and have not had any problems, but that’s probably because I’m using the west coast SD servers which are usually not as busy. Are you folks having issues in EST?

Montreal QC Canada, East Province yes

DVR user on East Coast, hence many images missing on iOS production and beta. All other installs with Channels guide provider are OK.

Similar reports on the SD forums:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=64618&p=291696#p291696

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=64577

I’m in Central, and my iOS and topshelf on tvOS are only affected.

Yup. East Coast here.

Not sure if it is related, but top shelf images are loading extremely slow for other apps too after latest TVOS update. For Channels, the programs that have art load eventually (very slow though), but those without art no longer have the channel icons in top shelf – they appear to not load at all.

According to SD’s tread, it looks like SD’s guys over there do not follow the tread so they are not aware of the problem probably because it should not take that long to fix the server.

I’m looking into workarounds for this issue today.

Okay we were able to help track down the problem and this should be fixed now.

Let me know if you notice any more issues. You may need to reboot your device or restart the App to clear any cached images.

1 Like