Transcoder settings for the Extend

There are several places to set the transcoder settings of the Extend.

1. The HDHomeRun web interface under Transcode Configuration->Default Transcode Profile
  2. The Channels DVR web interface under Settings->HDHomeRun Found
  3. The Channels iOS app under settings->Tuners->Transcoder

Where is the right place to set the transcoder settings?

Thanks

This is not used.

This setting is used when making recordings.

This setting is used when watching live tv.

Great, thanks. Really thrilled with these apps. Just what I need to start my cord cutting.

How does this change when Shared Turners are enable and using HDHR Extends?

1. Do all watched (Live) channels always go to the DVR first, transcoded using the Extends Recording settings, then read by the ATV or IOS device (so getting the transcoded file)

2. All Live recordings bypass EXTEND transcode settings and simply queue in original format on DVR then are read by ATV or IOS devices?

3. All Live recordings bypass EXTEND transcode settings and simply queue in original format on DVR then are read by ATV or IOS devices by the Client’ Transcode setting is somehow put to use?

4. Clients with Transcode settings and Tuner Sharing enabled do something different?

Trying to understand if I even need the client Transcode setting if I only have Extends and the Extends are all set to Transcode Heavy for DVR, and Tuner Sharing is enabled.

If you expect to share a tuner, all devices and dvr must have the same transcode setting.

1 Like

The client’s transcode setting is passed to the DVR, which passes it to your EXTEND. If there is another session with the same EXTEND, same channel and same transcode setting, it is re-used.

So if the client is set to Original, and the DVR is set to heavy. Once the live steam is selected it will pass the “Original” quality setting onto the DVR and it won’t use any transcoding. Correct?

Would this also be true if the show is already recording via DVR (scheduled) and transcoding set to Heavy, and a live stream is started or will that open another tuner at this point?

Original is not a client setting… do you mean None?

Unless the channel, transcode setting and tuner match exactly, a new connection will be made. If there’s a match, an existing session will be shared

yes, None.

Thanks that helps a lot.