Transcoder?

Today I noticed a client was connected watching a sub-channel (via HDHR OTA tuner):

transcoder

They were watching sub-channel 6.2 live, so I had CDVR record it so I could get file info. Media info claims the Overall bit rate is 2425 Kbps.

The client is configured for a 6 mbps remote connection to the server.

How do I configure the client/server connection so that it is smart enough to not transcode media that is less than the configured connection speed so that CPU server cycles are not wasted?

What client was being used to watch?

firestick 4k

mpeg 2 file

I see okay. Currently we only send h264 over the internet. I guess we could send mpeg2 when the bitrate is low, but converting to h264 halves the bitrate for the same quality.

This got me thinking ... maybe the firestick 4k doesn't handle the mpeg 2 so well.

Okay, probably best to just stick with the h.264 over WAN - too many devices would be unhappy with mpeg 2.

Thanks.

1 Like

When you select “Original” quality from the streaming settings, we use special logic that indicates “I want to prioritize using the original quality over being able to support features like automatic bandwidth detection.”

Because of the way our player works, we can’t change between codecs on the fly for the same stream (switching between mpeg2 to h.264 for instance or from AC3 to AAC), so we’ve decided to use that for all streams that aren’t Original.

1 Like