Transcoding issue on latest build

Can you tell me more about what you mean by “mixed up by an I frame”?

I’ll try to explain. It’s where the image doesn’t refresh fully and you see multiple images on top of each other with very blocky Tetris looking squares and you can’t really tell what’s your looking at.

Like macroblocking?

In TV streams, this is usually indicative of dropped packets (especially if using UDP connections), perhaps suggesting network issues.

Not like macroblocking. This is subtle at first and progressively gets worse over a few minutes and then suddenly corrects itself.

As far as uploading a file, the Firefox method won’t work. They max out at 2.5GB and these files are around 4GB.

So I’ve found if I disable hardware transcoding the issue goes away. After digging through the Nvidia developer forums I found this:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1069188/cuda-nvdec-mpeg2-decode-bug-ffmpeg-/?offset=2#5416520

That link is for a decoding bug, but the issue you're experiencing is during encoding.

Can you try doubling the bitrate with hardware transcoding on and see if the quality matches software? Or do you still have random artifacts and low quality with nvidia encoding even at 8Mbps?

Which issue are you referring to? The stalling problem while skipping commercials? (Which has disappeared after switching to the old transcoder)

Or the deteriorating video quality? Which has disappeared after switching to software transcoding. (That seems to be directly tied to the NVIDIA NVDEC MPEG2 issue)

I'm referring to the video quality issue. The nvidia encoder has some issues with the bitrate requested, so when you ask for 4mbps you might actually be getting half that at 2mbps which would explain the poor quality. So do you still get poor quality at hardware encoding @ 8Mbps?

I increased the quality to 8Mbps and it still has the issue.

It’s not doing it as often and the duration has shrunk. But still doing it.

It would be nice if Nvidia would publish what bit rates they support.

Have you tried updating your nvidia drivers? Sounds like it's a bug in the GPU or the driver, so you might be best off using CPU transcoding instead

So the latest GeForce driver from Nvidia has seemed to fix the issue. I’ll report back if I see it again. I hope they do the same update for the Quadro cards.

1 Like

This issue reappeared. I noticed an update to the server software so I switched back to hardware transcoding and unchecked the box to use the legacy transcoder.

I noticed the option in the Android client on my Nvidia Shield to use Hardware or Software for the decoding. I switched from hardware to software and so far I’ve seen zero errors. Is it possible that the older Maxwell GPU in the Shield isn’t capable of decoding the much more modern Turing video stream?

So the winning combination appears to be using the “Old Transcoder” with hardware transcoding enabled via a GTX 1650. On the client side (A junk Nvidia Shield) software transcoding currently decoding a 4Mbps 720p stream.