Trouble Moving to DS218+

I have my new DS218+ setup and a folder called DVR created. I have my old external HDD where the Channels directory is stored connected via USB. I thought it would be a simple drag and drop operation to move the data to the 218 from the external drive. I am getting an error after a few small files/directories have been copied. Any suggestions?

You first want to check the usbshare1-2 to make sure your Synology user owns it.
I'm assuming it came from a Mac and is formatted HFS+

Second, you want to COPY instead of MOVING the folder.
See Synology docs https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/FileStation/copymove

One of tthe Notes at the bottom reads
When moving a file or folder, the "owner" remains the same. However, when copying a file or folder, the "owner" changes to the user who copied it.

How do I make sure the Synology user owns it? And yes your assumption about HFS+ is correct.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/FileStation/privilege

Some models only support HFS/HFS+ as READ ONLY, so if that's the case with your 218+, best to just copy the folder.

Were you trying to MOVE it?

1 Like

It looks like some files were copied, including one comskip log folder. I'm guessing the symlink in there is causing issues.

Can you copy over everything except Logs/comskip and see if any more errors happen?

Looks like the logs folder was the problem. Everything is copying now. Do I need to recreate the logs folder or will the install of the package do that?

Edit: I’ll copy everything except the comskip sub folder after rereading your post. I assume it will be recreated on its own.

In each of the comskip numbered directories there is a file video.mpg which is a symbolic link and is failing to copy. If you can ignore or delete those, the rest should copy over.

Or just skip the comskip directory, although if you do you won't be able to use the "verify commercials" feature on any of these old recordings.

I guess I need to look for the video.mpg files on my mac instead of on the Synology? They don't show up there.

Is there a reason you want the symbolic links recreated on your Synology?
I think @tmm1 meant if you don't copy the Logs/comskip folders then edit commercials will not work.

I tried deleting one of the video.mpg symlinks on my Synology and I'm still able to edit its commercials.

The symlinks do not need to be recreated.

I think the synology interface isn't showing the mpg files at all because it doesn't understand symlinks. And then it fails when you try to copy the folder as well. So you probably do need your mac to find and delete those symlinks, then you'll be able to copy over the remaining files. Or if you don't care about editing commercials just skip that part and proceed with the restore in the DVR.

The Synology DSM File Station will try to copy/delete/move/etc. symlinks if they exist, but it will not display them.

I guess to protect new users from doing things they don't understand?

@tmm1 is correct about what I was trying to do. Probably won’t worry about it because I don’t use the edit commercials feature often.