Troubleshooting network issue

Seeing an issue where playback just randomly exits during the middle of a show. Seen it several times, just submitted logs. Every time it happens if I go back to the show and select resume playback it won’t play the show. I have to start the show over and seek manually to where I was. But this time start over didn’t work either. I was able to switch to the release version of the app and then it played back correctly. I have auto commercial skip enabled in the beta so I think it might be related since at least this time it happened right before a commercial. I didn’t check the other times if they happened before a commercial.

Starting at 2020-04-26 01:25:37 in the logs I see a number of network timeout errors that are causing the playback to stop.

Are your Apple TV and DVR server connected via Ethernet?

Yep they are connected via gigabit Ethernet. Also have seen this on two Apple TVs both connected via Ethernet. I have only seen this on the beta. Just happened again and submitted logs.

Also if it’s a network issue why can’t I restart or resume playback? When I try to play it shows the player for a second then immediately returns to the episode dialog. You would think it would play for a period then timeout.

There were repeated network timeout errors happening for a few minutes. These sorts of issues wouldn’t be related to running the beta or release versions. It’s something related to your network.

Ok, for the sake of argument if that’s the case then there is still a bug with channels where after those timeouts it doesn’t re-establish a connection when I try to view the video again. Why is that happening? And can you see it in the logs? What is interesting is playing in release build of channels right after this issue is flawless. Seems like it closes the connection and doesn’t reconnect or something like that.

I see 24 failed network requests returning "connection refused" in the logs that are preventing playback. There's nothing we could do in our client to overcome being unable to connect to the DVR.

Either the DVR service or the computer the DVR is running on was stopped or restarted.

Connection refused means the target isn’t wanting to talk to the client. I would look at the dvr and see if your firewall or something is trying to block you.