Tuner Priority App vs. Server

In the Android app on one device I set TV Everywhere as the lowest priority. But I kept seeing recordings in stereo instead of 5.1. Then I checked the Android app on another device and TV Everywhere was the top priority tuner. So I changed it again, but still ended up with stereo recordings. Then I went to the web GUI on the server and it had TV Everywhere as the top priority. I want to keep TV Everywhere as a last-ditch option, but want the Cable Card and OTA devices take priority. So I rearranged the priority on the web GUI and will see. Why did my changes in priority on one device not seem to affect all?

The priority settings in the each app is separate and the DVR has its own separate priority for making recordings. It was setup that way so you can configure different settings per room, but I can see how it could be confusing.

I removed TVEverywhere for a while as even though I moved it to the bottom of the sources on the web GUI, it was still being used even though there were no conflicts with the Prime (which was at the top of the list). I know this because of the stereo audio I kept getting.

Tonight I added the TVEverywhere tuner back and it was at the bottom of the list in the web GUI from the start. When I went to the DVR > Schedules tab in the web GUI it showed my next recording with the channels 6080,1049 on the right. I was not sure if that meant priority, (e.g. it would use 6080--the TVEverywhere channel--first), or not, so checked the app on my phone. There on scheduled recordings it just said channel 6080.

Is this the proper way to tell which channel it intends to use for recording? Note that in the app I had previously unchecked the TVEverywhere tuner and when I added it back in the web GUI it still showed up as unchecked in the app, (which is what I would expect, but just FYI).

Anyway, I deleted the TVEverywhere tuner as I had a recording scheduled in about 10 minutes. The web GUI--even after restarting--still had 6080,1049 on the right, but the channel logo above that had disappeared. This was the same for other later recordings on that channel, (i.e. the next day and beyond). When I went to the app, however, it now said channel 1049 only and had the logo. But that was ONLY for the next recording on that channel. The ones for tomorrow and beyond still said 6080 and had no logo.

When the recording started, the web GUI showed the logo and only 1049 as the channel, so it looks like it's working right. But shows scheduled to record tomorrow still have the 2 channels listed with the 6080 first and no logo.

Anyway, I'm not too concerned about the cosmetic things, but it still seemed like even when I put TVEverywhere as the last tuner in the list, (well, it started there when I added it, so I didn't move things), it was still going to use TVEverywhere instead of the Prime.

I'm glad we can set them for different devices. I like keeping my mobile with TVE as primary on mobile devices and secondary on devices that stay in the house.

1 Like

I just want recordings in the best format. TVE is the backup if I run out of tuners. Good to have, but want the Prime or Quatros to capture things.

Then all you need to do is make sure the tuner is set as first priority on your server. That will do exactly what you want.

I was under the impression that, even if TVE was set as a lower priority, if a show to be recorded had two airings, one on TVE and one on cable (for example), that if the earlier one was on TVE it would still be recorded (despite being the lower priority). And as such you can't be certain of the recording source. Can anyone confirm?

They should both start at the same time unless you are on the West Coast and have both Eastern and Western feeds available ... if that is the case you would just simply disable the Eastern feed.

The problem is that does not seem to work. TVE is the last tuner on the list on the server, but is still used over the Prime above it.

I have never seen where it preferred the last tuner over a higher tuner .. I have mine setup Prime TVE Prime. KFStein are you coming over from SageTV. ? I think I recognize the name.

Yes, I am a long-time SageTV user. I still use it for sports because of the recording extender and for premier alerts, but Channels is my main DVR now.

If you're on the west coast, then you would need to hide the EST versions of TVE channels because stuff airs there first so they get picked for recordings.

I'm in Michigan...

Can you find an example in the Logs where it recorded from TVE instead of the HDHR? The log messages should help us see what's going on.

OK, will do. I added TVE back and should get some data soon. See the images attached. Before I added TVE the 5PM recording just had channel 1410 (the Prime), then after had what you see. Does the channel order reflect tuner priority?Annotation%202019-09-08%20164100

A post was split to a new topic: How does recording priority work?

Yeah, this test was a wash. It recorded on the Prime. I'll keep it on tonight when a couple other shows used TVE instead of the Prime.

2019/09/08 17:00:00 [DVR] Recording for job 1567976400-18 from 13193C92 ch1410 into "TV/The Simpsons/The Simpsons S21E07 2009-11-29 Rednecks and Broomsticks 2019-09-08-1700.mpg" for 29m59.991056751s

The channel order listed for the queued recordings does not reflect tuner priority. This is something we have discussed improving to make it more clear where it will record.

Well, maybe it was user error. I've had 4 recordings now with a TVE capture option and it has used the Prime as far as I can tell, (didn't check the logs, but the AVR showed 5.1 audio). So things seem good.